cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator warms up when driving

daytripper63
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic NDA1402 side x side refrigerator and anytime I travel it gets warmer, even when we don't open it. It does not matter if it is running on propane or if I run it on the generator. It does not matter if it is hot weather or cold. I just drove 107 miles in 76 - 85 degree weather and when I left outside temp was 85 and the refrigerator side was 33 and the freezer was 1 degree, when I reached my destination the refrig was 44 and the freezer was 21 degrees
I am in the air conditioning business and I have two temp probes so I can measure temps without opening the doors.
The frig is installed in the slide out and has the vents at both top and bottom to the outside, it also has two fans in the back to help dissipate the heat and they are both working.
Does anyone else have this problem and if so has anyone figured out how to solve it.
2008 FLEETWOOD PROVIDENCE 40X
18 REPLIES 18

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
chezhead wrote:
I had the same issue with the exact same model. After several years of fighting with Dometic and Fleetwood (they each blamed each other) I gave up and went with a Samsung residential. Best move I've ever made and I didn't have to add any batteries.

I have 4 house batteries and there is no room to add any more. How can you have a residential refrigerator without adding batteries?
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

chezhead
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue with the exact same model. After several years of fighting with Dometic and Fleetwood (they each blamed each other) I gave up and went with a Samsung residential. Best move I've ever made and I didn't have to add any batteries.
Mark & Cheryl
2008 Bounder 36D
2020 Buick Envision Toad

MrWizard
fridge in a slide out ?

adding the fans may help
also creating shield ? drafting cover over the the upper vent
something to allow hot air out to the rear, but block on coming air from being forced into the vent
same idea as the roof top fridge vent covers
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously your travel is creating turbulence that is restricting vertical convection venting, and I know slide mounts are paticurally finnikey. I suspect if you were yo install a 12v box fan or two on the upper exhaust you could better manage that problem. Some mount them down below, but certainly a draw out the top creates less internal turblance than trying to force air in.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350