cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Registration Fees

Ricebug
Explorer
Explorer
I contacted Wash State DMV and asked them how much would it cost to register a new motor home bought in Idaho. They replied: 10% of the purchase price. They would, however, deduct whatever I paid Idaho. This is insane!

We're planning on buying our RV next March, and want to move to Washington, where I grew up. It's RV friendly and we love rain.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm 64, retired Air Force, if it matters.
Terry DeLaney
USAF, Retired
20 REPLIES 20

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Washington adopt lot of California laws in last few years (my brother leaves there, so I compare all the time) -including smog tests.
The 10% is most likely sale tax, when you bring new motorhome straight to WA.
California has the same, but at some point the vehicle is consider used and then you can re-register it here with no sale tax.
From my memory in CA vehicle has to have 2500 miles, about a month since purchase and receipts from other states to qualify.
I think you ask wrong question. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ricebug
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, I read just about every web page they had.
Terry DeLaney
USAF, Retired

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of variables.. Have you checked out the WA DOL web page yet?

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/moving.html

It might be able to answer your questions... Or cause more!

Good luck! It does seem they do things a bit different with RV's..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our sales tax varies from county to county and town to town, so call the DMV in the locality where you will license the couch, to see really what the cost will be.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Guess why they call it the "evergreen state"?

Depending on what you make, ID state has an income tax where WA doesn't. Governor smiles when people buy anything, especially big ticket items like RV's and cars.

But all states get their pound of flesh someway.

Some people in the park just changed residence from South Dakota to WA state, so they could get on some medical program. Cost them a bunch for that pretty license plate.

I'm 64, retired Air Force, if it matters.

It might because your pay is on 1099 R, not W2. WA state no income tax. ID has income tax, but don't know how much.

If it weren't for the medical and "tri care for life" (which you'll go on when you get 65) my wife loves the medical, so we pay through the nose to lic vehicles. Just paid $184.00 for lic tab on small 2003 class C.

P.S. she is getting new hip next month. Wonder if the WA state will tax her new transportation device?:B
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, maintain your domicile some place else.

Washington just raised their fuel taxes by $0.40 per gal this summer and figured their residents wouldn't mind. Diesel fuel is more expensive in Washington than Alaska........

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.