cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing caulk

tich
Explorer
Explorer
I have to repair some of the cargo doors on my Fleetwood Excursion, which means removing the trim strips which run along the top and covers the hinges.
I will have to re-caulk the trim after I replace it. My question: how do I get the old caulk off without damaging the paint?
Thanks,
Tich
7 REPLIES 7

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
fortytwo wrote:
I found the vibrating multi-tools do a great job of removing calking with the sharp blade scraper. I was using it on concrete and not worried about scratching paint. Wonder if a plastic scraper could be modified to work as a blade in one of those things? Many times faster than manually doing it.

I used the multi-tool on the roof and it works great. But the roof isn't painted and if you're not careful with that multi-tool it will dig right in to the fiberglass. I don't think I'd use it on the painted surfaces on the sides.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't let it get too hot.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go with the heat gun over hair dryer. 🙂
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

fortytwo
Explorer
Explorer
I found the vibrating multi-tools do a great job of removing calking with the sharp blade scraper. I was using it on concrete and not worried about scratching paint. Wonder if a plastic scraper could be modified to work as a blade in one of those things? Many times faster than manually doing it.
Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

tich
Explorer
Explorer
Great, thanks, I will try a heat gun!

Moved from Forum Technical Support

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
There are caulk removers....3M (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.)
or
Heat gun or hair dryer, and plastic scraper.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro