cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Batteries

mant
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to replace my 2-6 volt Interstate batteries with 4-6 volt. I'm tossing up Interstate GC2-XHD-5 with 232ah for $122 or Trojan T-105 with 225ah for $130. Or Trojan T-125 with 240ah for $150. They all seen in the ballpark for ah, does 10+ or - ah really matter? Are both the make basically the same?
10 REPLIES 10

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last week at the FMCA rally in Redmond I asked the Interstate Rep if he could help me decide if I should go back with Interstate group 31 starting batteries. He bit and asked what's the problem and I said they are only 11 years old and either one by itself will still start my ISL.:B Guess I'll go back with Interstate when I replace them.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi Smitty,

All my experience is with 12 volt jars.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gottahaveit
We put 6 T105's in our current Motorhome for house batteries and had them in our previous 5'r as well. No problems at all.
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi CR,

The T-125 has not much room for electrolyte. They simply stuffed in more lead. It is almost a "starved acid" situation, or so I've heard it said. I may be wrong about that.

Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I would not use the T-125.

I don't know why PT said that but I do know that he has a lot of first hand realtime experience with solar and batteries so I would pay serious attention to any of his comments.

Don't know about the T-125 today, but I did place two of these in out T28 Bounder. Did not have the head room for the T-145's. I used them for 4 years before selling the coach to a local gent, he now has about a total of 7+ years on them. So, that era T-125 seemed to do well.

I did add a watering system with the bulb you squeeze to keep them topped off. So never let them get dry in my years of using them. I also did a yearly cleaning of the battery, and also the cable connections.

Onto X4 Lifeline L16's in our current rig, so far, so good...

OP - What is your battery demand usage? Do you need as many AH's available as possible, or is it just a nice to have? You can save some serious cash if you are not a heavy battery bank user, and go with the GC2 batteries from Costco or SAMS Clubs. But, if you need as much capacity as possible, then call Trojan and ask for tech support and check out what PT says. As I agree, he has the experience!!!!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi CR,

The T-125 has not much room for electrolyte. They simply stuffed in more lead. It is almost a "starved acid" situation, or so I've heard it said. I may be wrong about that.

Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I don't know why PT said that but I do know that he has a lot of first hand realtime experience with solar and batteries so I would pay serious attention to any of his comments.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I read somewhere that interstate 6 volts are no longer made in usa.

I just bought 4 Penn GC2's, 215 AH for $92. Local auto parts store price matched Blain's farm and fleet.
Penn GC2
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
no, yes.

I have used Interstate and the Trojan 105 with good results. I now have two Deka(?) GSC2200. No complaints so far.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

Regards, Don

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
no, yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman