cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing latch on lower cabins

ItascaTom2005
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to replace a plastic latch that broke on my Horizon Itasca and all I see are grommet types around the cabinet doors instead of screws, how do I get the old latch out and put in the new metal ones??? Stumped!
6 REPLIES 6

ItascaTom2005
Explorer
Explorer
Great comment, very helpful, thanks!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the rivets have a round head, take a nail or punch and put a dimple in the center before you try to drill it out. This will help keep the drill bit from walking off the top and damaging the surrounding area.

ItascaTom2005
Explorer
Explorer
You may be right, they do look like heavy duty rivets come to think of it. The whole door frame is fastened that way, makes it hard to do any small repairs like replacing a plastic latch that broke!
Thanks for the help and info!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
By grommets do you possibly mean rivets? If that is the case, the old ones need to be drilled out and they can be replaced with new aluminum or stainless steel pop rivets. These do require a pop rivet gun and rivets that can be purchased at Home Depot or Harbor Freight. The rivets come in different lengths and diameters depending on the total thickness of the material that they will go in to.

francheska
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you may have to drill the grommets out, then when you replace latch use stainless screws or bolts. Hope tho helps.

ItascaTom2005
Explorer
Explorer
To maybe clarify more, these are the outside bins below. Absolutely no screws in these door frames, only on the parts where the handle is located.