cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

residential Ref

rstoro
Explorer
Explorer
Our new motorhome has a residential ref in it. Was wondering if you can turn the refrigerator off when you have it hooked to shore power ( when I am stocking the Motorhome for a trip a few days early)

R & S
2018 Fleetwood Bounder
12 REPLIES 12

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Every refrigerator I've ever had has a "0" selection for cooling, meaning, off. Is there something special about an "RV" resi refer that it doesn't have that?

No. They are not RV fridge's so nothing different.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every refrigerator I've ever had has a "0" selection for cooling, meaning, off. Is there something special about an "RV" resi refer that it doesn't have that?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MrWizard
True, simply turning off the inverter, will shut it down if there is no shore power
But
The OP did say stocking the MH for a trip, while plugged into shore power

Maybe he is confused about how it operates and will only add the food, right before he drives away
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
downtheroad wrote:
I'm guessing that the OP meant turn it, "on," instead of turn it, "off." Probably just a typo.....???

Interesting speculation. A residential fridge is always on, plugged in, driving, dry camping.....always. You have to take some kind of action to change that.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
My residential fridge can be turned OFF in 3 ways.

1) Dial down the temperature until it shows "OFF"
2) Pull the the plug in the cabinet next to the Fridge.
3) Turn OFF the circuit breaker for the fridge in the Load Center.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
When on shore power why turn a fridge off?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing that the OP meant turn it, "on," instead of turn it, "off." Probably just a typo.....???
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Your new motor home should have an inverter that draws it's power from your house battery. The inverter is connected to an automatic switch that detects if your camper is plugged into shore power or not.

If you are plugged into shore power, the "switch" will switch the refrigerator over to shore power. If the camper is unplugged from shore power (like when you are driving), the "switch" will flip the refrigerator over to the inverter.

If your camper is not plugged into shore power, the battery should continuously be recharged from the motor home engine, or generator if you have one.

No need to plug and unplug, turn on or turn off the refrigerator itself. If your camper is unplugged from shore power, just make sure the inverter is turned off. The refrigerator will get no power.

Now, one more scenario. If you are plugged into shore power and you really want the refrigerator turned off, then yes. Turn the refrigerator off or unplug it.

But remember, there's no difference between the refrigerator in your house or the one in your camper. They work the same way. It's really better to keep them turned on and running, even when not in use. But, if you do turn it completely off, make sure you prop all the doors open so the inside of the refrigerator has ventilation, otherwise, they begin to STINK (literally) in a very short while.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our residential fridge doesn't have on "On/Off" switch position in the box, but it's a simple matter to either pop open the outside vent and unplug it or flip the breaker off in the panel. As said though, why bother if your stocking up for a trip?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not planning on turning my 21 residential off ever...to much stuff in it. Costs less than $60/year to leave it plugged in.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

MrWizard
your on shore power, why turn it off ?
if your going to stock it, you want it cold

yes you can turn it off, but you can't use it, or stock it, if its not cold
it won't be cold if you turn it off
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can but I don't know why you would want to. Aren't you going to put anything in the refer?