cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadmaster RSSC

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
I'll start a new post to keep things in order as questions were asked in another post. I have a RSSC mounted on my 97 E350. Works and operates great now, but let me explain a problem I had. First let me say their tech support is great! Prior to a trip and doing an under carriage inspection I saw that the spring at the end near the ubolts on the drag link, had slipped over the washer that enables it to stretch. (Hard to explain this). Called tech support and they told me how to put the spring back as it should be. Remounted the RSSC and pulled right out again. When I mounted the unit originally there was a clearance issue and I called Roadmaster, keeping this short they said I could mount the unbolt bracket 180* the other than normal way. When I removed the unit the second time, I noticed wear marks on the spring where it had been rubbing against the end of the ubolt. I think somehow the spring snagged on the end of the bolt and pulled it loose. I have spoken to Roadmaster about what might be a problem. So the good part is Roadmaster overnighted me a brand new unit to a camp ground I would be staying at. I mounted the u bolt bracket in the "proper orintation" though it could fit better. No problems so far. They wanted me to send back the old unit for inspection, which I did. Very good service.
6 REPLIES 6

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
tarnold wrote:
Now the bracket is mounted per the instructions, even though the drivers side u bolt is just starting to mount where the drag link goes from round to the swell.

That makes sense, Thanks!

What was the RM Part Number for your Bracket Kit? The eTrailer videos (and there are at least two, installing RSSC on E-450's) show a different number than the RM site does...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
No, the first time it was under the spring, and I thing it got snagged on the u boltswith the back and forth steering. Now the bracket is mounted per the instructions, even though the drivers side u bolt is just starting to mount where the drag link goes from round to the swell.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
So then the end of the RSSC that moves (driver side end) now has the bracket clamping it to the drag link, under it. With the U-bolts under the unit, instead of our beyond it, is what I'm trying to ask...

Check out the install video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRoWrkL9LS4

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
So then the end of the RSSC that moves (driver side end) now has the bracket clamping it to the drag link, under it. With the U-bolts under the unit, instead of our beyond it, is what I'm trying to ask...

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Not at the coach, so no pics. The RSSC was to replace the original stabilizer that was real wimpy and starting to leak on both ends. The fitment issue is the drag link starts to get fat where the u bolt is attached. File marks I made on the 2nd unit show that the unit has not shifted from where it was attached after about 5k miles. As far as shimmy, I can get up to 65mph and on a interstate let go of the wheel and it will track true for at least 10 seconds. As from another thread, the new Hellwig front sway bar will be here Tuesday, so that will make it even better. The install on the RSSCis super simple, just make sure you have your front wheels dead straight ahead when you bolt up.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Another OP posted a what seems like a similar situation. I believe Roadmaster did the same as they told you. Replace and Re-position.

Can you post a picture of the present installation? The one that works?

How is the RSSC working on the road? We're all hoping for less wandering.