Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadtrek Tail light doesn't work

Mean_Jeanne
Explorer III
Explorer III

Aloha all:

So our 2007 Roadtrek 170 (MJ 🙂) has a taillight (passenger side) that is out. Immediately thought bulb, so I changed that...still didn't work (later confirmed the original bulb and replacement are good), so I went to the fuse box...fuses are good too, which leads me to believe the problem with the wiring; is that a logical conclusion? I know there are many locations where wiring will have been run/spliced together; does anyone have a suggestion of where I should look specifically to isolate the problem for the passenger side taillight? Mahalo in advance.🤙

Mike

4 REPLIES 4

Community Alumni
Not applicable

You could wait until your dash lights go out and then you will know you have no tail lights at all. Trust me it's the ground wire. Do you have a wire tester (PHOTO #1) Clap to the vehicle's metal body and stick point into the wire. (not hand or fingers) If you have the Bulb in and lights on, doing this should turn the light on unless the ground is bad. If you had any work done say to your trailer tow hitch with trailer lights that may be the issue. Trailer lights may work but, one of the vehicle lights goes out. Re-due and check wiring.  I think the Bulb is a "1040" Which lights up when stopping, Running lights are on, or blinkers are on. Let's us know how it works out for you.  Good Luck and safe Travels.

wire tester.jpg

Mean_Jeanne
Explorer III
Explorer III

Thanks to you both for the suggestions; besides bulb and fuses, the ground wire sounds a likely culprit. 🤙🏼

Mike 

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

You most likely have a bad ground on the passenger side on rear right. Check for a loose wire or rusted ground wire. 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad

Yes you need to check the wiring. Check for 12V power at the light itself and especially check for continuity (all the way back to the battery) of the ground. There is about a 90% chance (IMO) that the problem is the ground.