Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rock, Tire, Hole.....

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Soooo....

I posted earlier about putting solid valve stems on my rear duallys. Well, I ended up ordering the Borg kit..a little expensive, but a quality product. I had a local shop put them on last week and about mid-morning I get a text message from the technician (friend of mine) with a picture...

I thinking...WTH???? Then he sends me this one....

Yeah, I said the same thing again...WTH?? Turns out, what I was seeing was the rock that I had picked up that was perfectly shaped to fit nicely down inside the tread and puncture through the tread to where you can see a wire. (Might not be able to see it in the above picture, but it's there.) So, since we are leaving for a trip in a few days, I had to buy a new tire....and this one was just over a year old with less than 1K miles on it.....still basically brand new.....

Moral of the story? That innocent rock sitting in your tread MIGHT not be so innocent. Add another checkbox to the pre-flight checklist.......
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
4 REPLIES 4

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
A half fist sized rock between my left duals cost me two new Michelins a few years back. It was the only time I ever had to replace M's except for age and/or wear out.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Here in the NW if I stopped to examine every rock in a tread I'd never move.

Gravel roads.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is no way you can check duallies for stuff like that. Even with singles in the rear it is very difficult.
I guess we have to take our chances.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Good reminder, thanks.
It's better you found it now than on a Sunday night a couple hundred miles from home.