cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Leak

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
Been chasing a roof leak for a while. First seemed to be some old patches that had failed, cleaned off and redid. Seemed to work. Then leaking again. Seemed to be around the fan, recaulked and seemed to work. Then leaking again. Water always in the same spot, around fan. Found a huge hole where the rubber met the fan (January) and caulked the heck out of that (DICOR lap sealant). Seemed fixed.

Again, noted leaking this fall. Getting majorly irritated. Cannot find anything, check all caulks and patches, all stuck fine. Resealed the edges. Found a drilled hole through the gutter above the awning with no caulk, patched that (all in the same area of the leak).

Still leaking.

I'm aware the roof is old (14 years). The RV has mileage on it but is in great shape. Had some body rust repaired. I'm not ready to junk it as I think it has some good years left in it but it is fast becoming a money pit. Just replaced the Kwikee steps, it's getting the brake lines and front brakes done in a few weeks.

Having an RV guy look at it today; he is talking replacing the roof to the tune of $6K but will look at it first to see if he can source the leak.

Any words of wisdom?
Jon
17 REPLIES 17

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
I had a friend that use rhino linings and they did the complete roof, looked great and has no issues.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
One more question, Pogoil, how did you prepare the roof, other than cleaning? Any primer needed?

I may ultimately need a new roof, but this seems worth a shot before I bite that bullet. Worst thing is I'm out a couple hundred bucks and some time if it doesn't work.

Thanks.
Jon

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
infogeek wrote:
Pogoil, they make several types, do you remember which one you used?

On the phone the RV man said he doesn't recommend coatings because all of his customers that used them have said they flaked off and didn't last; and he mentioned that having moisture under the rubber would cause them to fail. I don't know enough about rubber roofs and coatings to know if that's true or not, hence why I am here.

I know the RV isn't going to last forever, but if I could get 5-10 more years out of it without breaking the bank, that'd be great. I don't mind the cost of maintenance but $6K is kind of steep for me right now (I have an antique home money pit eating most of my resources at the moment).

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=C4bUuiMhKVO_YKojnyQH6soDgDdmw_LAF2dP94dABqOC7jkQIBhABILZUKAhQ5bCzxgZgydb2i8ykiBmgAafZ3c0DyAEHqgQnT9BymmOBjKdCcxB3KNDu9dl1op8TWkcE_zkeje41qjYPn5bP6QxwgAWQTsAFBaAGJoAHwaaiMpAHAagHpr4b4BLl64ORisz41NwB&sig=AOD64_2Viot-ipYC5o0DgQKgHqm_iujrdQ&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0CJQBELsX&adurl=http://www.roofcoatingsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp%3FProductCode%3Dgr1600&cad=rja

Not sure if the link went through. Yes Snow Coat and the cheaper roof coatings seem to fail in my experience. So far very happy with the Gaco after 2 years.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can do your own leak test take a leaf blower run it into the RV through a window. Seal it up and go around all areas that might leak with soapy water solution. If you see bubbles you have a leaky area. mark area keep looking. repair area do another leak test. No bubble no leaks.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
Do U have a Max Air roof vent cover over the vent that leaks? I had this situation. I found that when I removed the MaxAir cover it stopped leaking. The cover is mounted by drilling holes into the sides of the vent rim. I had resealed around the vent as you did. I inadvertantly built a 'Levy' of lap sealant around the outside of the vent edge and when it rains there was a little lake or mote of water all around the vent that got deep enough to leak into the drilled holes for the MaxAir cover.

Good thought, but no MaxAir cover. Going to check for hairline cracks, though.
Jon

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Do U have a Max Air roof vent cover over the vent that leaks? I had this situation. I found that when I removed the MaxAir cover it stopped leaking. The cover is mounted by drilling holes into the sides of the vent rim. I had resealed around the vent as you did. I inadvertantly built a 'Levy' of lap sealant around the outside of the vent edge and when it rains there was a little lake or mote of water all around the vent that got deep enough to leak into the drilled holes for the MaxAir cover.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
infogeek wrote:
RV guy was just here. Can't see any obvious leaks but says the rubber is checking. Thinks it's getting porous and should be replaced. He thinks scrubbing and prepping to apply a coating will make it worse, and isn't sure it will stick (like duct tape on a powdery surface is how he put it). I did try some Eternabond at one point for an emergency patch and that did not stick despite cleaning and rollering it hard, so maybe he has a point there.

RV Daytrader: yes, installed roof vent/fan.

check the frame of roof vent/fan if it is plastic..I had a roof vent leak and it was a hairline crack in the frame. I used brushable RV-proflex to coat the frame, and no leaks for 2 years now.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
RV guy was just here. Can't see any obvious leaks but says the rubber is checking. Thinks it's getting porous and should be replaced. He thinks scrubbing and prepping to apply a coating will make it worse, and isn't sure it will stick (like duct tape on a powdery surface is how he put it). I did try some Eternabond at one point for an emergency patch and that did not stick despite cleaning and rollering it hard, so maybe he has a point there.

RV Daytrader: yes, installed roof vent/fan.
Jon

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
the FAN you are talking about...was it installed in a roof vent??
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
infogeek wrote:
I'm hoping the RV man can do the seal test. If not, where do you have those done? I'm willing to do it; I just thought I had found and fixed the leaks, but have been proven wrong. 🙂

Any decent dealer can do it.
2013 ACE 29.2

Chopperbob
Explorer
Explorer
Or you could apply Bus Kote and be done with it.
One coat primer two Coats finish. Done deal.
Need one sunny day and some elbow grease.
Bob

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seal Tech USA

The web site has links to shops that have the equipment. If you're really industrious you can try and make your own fan system.

The test will point out EVERY leak in the coach not just the roof. Windows, door, slides,,,, The test is the same as a blower door test you would have done of a stick and brink home as part of an energy audit or HVAC evaluation.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hoping the RV man can do the seal test. If not, where do you have those done? I'm willing to do it; I just thought I had found and fixed the leaks, but have been proven wrong. 🙂
Jon

infogeek
Explorer
Explorer
Pogoil, they make several types, do you remember which one you used?

On the phone the RV man said he doesn't recommend coatings because all of his customers that used them have said they flaked off and didn't last; and he mentioned that having moisture under the rubber would cause them to fail. I don't know enough about rubber roofs and coatings to know if that's true or not, hence why I am here.

I know the RV isn't going to last forever, but if I could get 5-10 more years out of it without breaking the bank, that'd be great. I don't mind the cost of maintenance but $6K is kind of steep for me right now (I have an antique home money pit eating most of my resources at the moment).
Jon