cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

roof rack

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone actually use their roof rack for anything beside tripping over when up on the roof? We're moving in a couple of months and would like to store some stuff up there, freeing up some storage room for stuff we'll need while actually on the road. Not exactly sure what weight capacity would be, or how to actually pack/secure stuff up there. Was thinking of putting the spare tire up there, but that's a pain and I found a place underneath the coach to mount it. Normal roof rack/box/storage bags are usually too narrow to fit all the way across.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
18 REPLIES 18

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I was afraid of. I've got my sat dish bolted to it, but that's about it.
Can't use the standard bumper mount for the spare tire, non standard bumper that's about a foot wide with debris flap the whole width. Hitch mount is being used by the bike rack, since that's about all it's good for. Was going to try using it to tow a car trailer, turn's out it's half assed welded on there and the manufacture says it's only good for 3k. turns out that's pretty standard for class c I'm told. What good is an e450 chassis with v10. my van is rated for 10k
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
I only use it to secure the portable satellite dish while parked.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2 NO, nothing on the roof of a MH!

For the spare:
They sell many different bumper brackets for the spare tire.

This is the type I used on my first Class C, which in my case also gives me a place to hang my dogs ex-pens and lawn chairs. It's both a bike rack/spare tire

And if you are not towing a toad a simple cargo carrier out the back of the MH will hold any extra items you might have.

Since I added a toad the cargo carrier now rides off the back of the toad. Provides an ample amount of extra storage space.

you can find the cargo carriers at Tractor Supply for around 50 bucks. They hold up to 500 lbs.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I use it as a hand hold when climbing onto the roof - I would never rely on my rack to hold anything of consequence.
Kevin