cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Top Spot Light

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
We have a spot light on the roof in front. If you have one what do you use it for??
As of now I think it is useless.
Thanks for all comments
30 REPLIES 30

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
It's those last few words that would get me in trouble, Dutch. ๐Ÿ˜‰
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
Thanks, Dutch. I wouldn't mind a portable one if it turns out we're not pre-wired for a rooftop one.

I don't think we'd want to keep it in the tow'd, though, since that might make it look like we're spotlighting deer (which is illegal here and in some other places).

We keep our light in the coach, and only use it in the toad for occasional site scouting at night. It isn't illegal to use it in the toad when we're not armed... :B
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
I got a reply from Tiffin today: "2014 phaeton should have a spot light on the top of the front cap."

Sent them a photo to the contrary and asking for clarification. Hoping this means the coach is/was pre-wired.
It's his Super Power!

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Dutch. I wouldn't mind a portable one if it turns out we're not pre-wired for a rooftop one.

I don't think we'd want to keep it in the tow'd, though, since that might make it look like we're spotlighting deer (which is illegal here and in some other places).
It's his Super Power!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:

Even though this isn't my thread, thanks for the replies. Sounds like a spotlight is one of those things that fall under the category of "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".

We have a handheld spotlight on board that we use to check out boondocking and other sites after dark. Being portable, we can also take it in the toad to check on sites and clearances before committing to driving the coach in. I wouldn't mind having a roof mounted spotlight, but overall I think the portable is a more flexible option. Cheaper too! ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez: You have all the cool toys on your coach! Summit shield....spotlight...who knows what else! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Will send an e-mail in to RedBay to ask if our coach is pre-wired for a spotlight.

Was told that on prior-model-year coaches you had to choose between the Hadley airhorns and the spotlight, but the airhorns are internal now, so who knows.

Even though this isn't my thread, thanks for the replies. Sounds like a spotlight is one of those things that fall under the category of "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".
It's his Super Power!

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
JohnnyT wrote:
We have a remote controlled spotlight on our motorhome... I have used it often;

Rarely as a night navigation aid. But on the few times I did I was grateful for it.

Most often as an additional light in a darkened area when walking dogs or for lightening darkened areas in remotes camping locations.

The option was inexpensive in relative terms and indispensable when needed and used.

The are other options... We have it so we have used it when the need or desire arose.

Johnny

I think they are all remote controlled John. Small joy stick to control it.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a remote controlled spotlight on our motorhome... I have used it often;

Rarely as a night navigation aid. But on the few times I did I was grateful for it.

Most often as an additional light in a darkened area when walking dogs or for lightening darkened areas in remotes camping locations.

The option was inexpensive in relative terms and indispensable when needed and used.

The are other options... We have it so we have used it when the need or desire arose.

Johnny
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

PCarnathan
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach has one and when you need it, it's rather handy. Just for giggles I epoxied a mounting bracket on it for the GoPro. We had it up there taping our last trip and it was fun to aim it at different sights along the freeway during daylight without the spotlight "on". The display shows on my smart phone. The battery didn't last long - When you're using the smart phone as a display via Bluetooth it really runs down the battery on the camera.

Fortunately, we got a little bored with it before the battery went completely dead! The spotlight's still pretty nifty, though.

Pat in Menifee, CA
www.patcarnathan.com
2009 Mandalay 43A
2009 Honda CR-V Toad
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
In thirteen years I have never used it.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Thats what my friend Smokey tells me at any rate...

Roy Ken

A relative of your friend, Smokey, went "gallomping" across the road in front of us on 211 today, Roy.

We saw him coming from a ways away and thought it was a big dog. When he got closer, we realized it was a black bear!
It's his Super Power!

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Nice use for it, Jonny!
It's his Super Power!

Jonny_31C
Explorer
Explorer
on my last coach I installed a remote controlled spot light. When I had to walk the dogs at night at the campground in the woods of Maine I would take the little remote and have the spot light follow me so I could see where the dogs made their deposits to pick up.
Jonny
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
:B
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
2 amazing kids, 2 beagles

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure where I might use it with my RV, except that it might save me getting out with a flashlight to check on something. In the fifties, when spotlights were still pretty common accessories on cars, they were useful for checking house numbers when trying to find the house hosting the party. That meant the right spot was more useful, but you needed spots on both sides (also for symmetry of style) and a spot operator riding shotgun.

By the 1960s we figured out the a high power handheld spot worked just as well, and was a lot cheaper.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B