Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sharp microwave/convec oven, "59 second" problem

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Gang,
Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, has a Sharp microwave/convection oven, over the stove. We've owned the coach now for right at 4 years. That oven, has been working flawlessly for the total time we've camped. But, on a recent stay at Wahweap RV park and campground at Lake Powell, it started acting up.

Long story short, no matter if you were microwaving or convection cooking, the timer for countdown operations, would cease at "59" seconds. It did this consistently. If you were to push the START button after 50 seconds, it would continue the countdown. Then it would stop at another 59 seconds. So, I inquired about it and found out, that the Sharp unit, around my serial numbers and year, had that as a semi-common problem.

I was lead to a link that explained the issue and, what it would take to remedy it. In all reality, it's a simple and, fairly cheap fix. There's a DAMPER door inside that must be opened and closed to help regulate temps inside the unit. And, what opens and closes it is a small motor, about the size of 4 silver dollars (remember those?) stacked together. And, there's a micro-switch that's incorporated in that operation too.

Apparently those little damper motors go bad and, sometimes the switch does too. So, I found out there were multiple places to order those two items. I did so and received them in two days. I replaced the bad ones with the new parts and bench tested the unit. It works flawless again, yahooooooooo!

So, if any of you have an RV, in the '04, possibly maybe a year earlier and a couple of years after, that has a Sharp Microwave/Convection oven, and, it starts to malfunction in the manner in which I explained, there's a cheap fix.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
10 REPLIES 10

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Gang,
Well, I most certainly appreciate all your nice comments. I just asked the CEO and, she's assured me that "we" have NEVER attempted to run this micro/convection on inverter power. I thought we had but, mhy memories not what it used to be, which was only a couple of working brain cells anyway.

And while it has been suggested for me to "can it" and go shopping for a new one, that's my normal school of thought when ever something I own breaks. (there I go, using those two brain cells again), but, after a bit of inquiry, I found out there was a cheap and, most likely cure. So, I figured, what the heck, it's worth a try and, a few bucks. If it didn't work, I was not out all that much.

I didn't even think about the potential mounting issues that might have cropped up. Yeah, I most likely could and would have to deal with them if, I ever have to purchase another make/model of a micro/convection oven. But, for now, it's working and, I don't have to worry about a new one.

I surely thank you all again for your help and courteous comments.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Had the 59 second problem five years ago. Fixed it and it's been running fine.

For those who suggest replacing it there are mounting issues when installing a new Microwave and I prefer to stay with the same unit for that reason along with the fact a convection microwave is pretty expensive.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Mine got very angry back when i had the MSW feeding it. I'd like to install another in the house now I know where to get it serviced... ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine went when we had the lightning strike...did the same thing. Insurance company wouldn't fix it, they simply replaced it....:h...anyway, like you I was going to fix it too as the fix is so simple but they said no, replace....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"FIRE UP"......Have you ever run your Sharp Carousel on your inverter? If you have, I believe this is one of the reasons it failed, causing the 59 second issue (very common). My Monaco had the Sharp Carousel and I placed one in my new coach. Almost 11 years without an issue, but I never ran the unit on the inverter, especially an msw inverter.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Junk it. Go to any big box store and buy the replacement that fits your opening and suits your fancy.

Not only did you miss the fact that he FIXED it, but also that it is a micro-CONVECTION oven. Hard to find one that would fit. I know: I have one (2002 rig) and have been keeping my eye out for a replacement when needed.

Gottahaveit
Thanks for sharing the info. ๐Ÿ™‚
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
Another DIY victory for the good guys. Thanks for sharing. A lot times, we tend to throw in the towel and replace something when we can easily fix it for a lot less.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Junk it. Go to any big box store and buy the replacement that fits your opening and suits your fancy.
You apparently didn't read the story...he FIXED it. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks Fire Up for the info.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II