cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rotella Oil

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use Rotella T-6 full synthetic 5W40 motor oil in their RV?

I have a 1994 Chevy 454 with 50K miles on it.

I use Rotella T-6 in everything I have and was getting ready to change oil in my RV. I been using Mobil One 10W30 but I have plenty of Rotella T-6 5W40.

NC Camper
16 REPLIES 16

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused. Isn't Rotella T6 a diesel oil? Aren't the oil additives different between a diesel and a gasser? Wouldn't it be better to use a non-diesel formulated oil?

Jeff
Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
back in the early 60's my dad went from Ohio to Kansas he had a 57 Olds when he left he put in STP oil treatment because it was to be good for your engine,it cleaned out all of the gunk and when they got back it smoked more than a Hippy in the 60's just a thought

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's mostly a waste of money...but sure, it will work fine.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
bigB42 wrote:
not real sure but I think my book says not to use 40 weight 99 flair 454

He dont have a 1999 model!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
I am the OP. I was pretty sure I would be OK with the Rotella 5W40 Full Synthetic since the auto parts stores said they could not keep Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic on their shelves, they said all the auto repair shops and used car dealers bought it up to go in large engine pickup trucks.
mtnman

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
My 1995 454 has been run with 10/40 oil since new. Uses very little oil at 72,500 miles on odometer.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have it anymore Harley Davidson with a Shovel Head engine air cooled and I ran nothing but Rotella oil in it handles high heat very well.

bigB42
Explorer
Explorer
not real sure but I think my book says not to use 40 weight 99 flair 454
ken

backhoemike
Explorer
Explorer
everyone calls me crazy but i would not , I REPEAT would not change from regular to synthetic on an engine with any miles on it. I had a car that was high miles didnt leak or use oil, went to walmart the little girl ask if i wanted the full synthetic treatment , i was in a rush and said yes, they changed my oil poured 5 quarts in my car , i started it to pull it out and blew the engine . I think the oil washed all the sludge and deposits off the bearing and it spun a bearing right there and then. Just too odd that my engine blew with 100000 miles , i drive 150 miles a day or more all interstate. the exact same engine with regular oil lasted over 300000 miles and was still going strong when i sold it. My new suburban has the 8.00 a quart mobile 1 syn. oil and i use it due to it always being in it but i dont like or use it in anything else...

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Yes and 5w40 will be fine this time of year.

Especially a 5W-40 SYN oil...!
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Born To Travel wrote:
I would stick with 10W30..

Thats precisely why when I ran gassers I ran 10W-40 oil. When it gets HOT and starts to lose its lubricating ability a 40 weight still keeps you in the charts wheras a 30 wgt has let you fall off.

Looks closly at your supposid charts and see what oil weights are recommended for what temp...and then looks when the temp gets HOT
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
I would stick with 10W30..

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
My 1994 454 says 10w30 right on the filler cap.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes and 5w40 will be fine this time of year.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds