cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rust Underneath on Chassis

mhbell
Explorer
Explorer
I have read several posts on people worrying about Rust on the chassis underneath of Motor Homes. What is the big deal? I would expect most undersides of motor homes after a couple of years to have lots rust underneath, especially if based in northern areas where they use salt on the roads and in coastal areas. The under carrage of my motor home has lots of rust on chassis frame and some of the parts. It was based in Tacoma Wa for 8 or 9 years before I bought it. The rust on the underside of my present motor home is not flaking kind of rust, but the frame and other parts are rusty colored. I don't feel it is anything to really worry about. If it had been in a flood that would be another story. Anyone care to comment.
Mel
🙂
2004 Thor Four Winds Infinity R32 Class A Motor Home with F-53 Ford Chassis. Toad is a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.
17 REPLIES 17

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Cbones wrote:
mgh122 wrote:
"Cbones Nothing to worry about? Only $2500 to repair a 3 foot section that totally rotted through behind the rear wheel on a 5 year old"

What chassis manufacturer. Diesel or gas? I would be very upset, did you buy it used?

2010 Fleetwood Discovery

Didn't anyone notice the deterioration during normal maintenance procedures? It sort of looks like it should have been addressed before it got that bad.

You would think it should have been discovered, but the way that Fleetwood does the basement concealed the rust. The floor in the basement is covered by a plastic corrugated material that I forget the name of. Underneath the metal floor, it is covered by undercoat, so the metal is not visible. Evidently, the sandwich of undercoat and plastic top had a breech that allowed the high pressure of water being slung by the rear tire to get to the metal. I didn't have reason to pull the plastic up until I noticed that the floor was buckling. In essence it was not easily visible.

GREGORYJ
Explorer
Explorer
The liquid spray I use or have had it applied to my vehicles is call Rust Check. http://www.rustcheck.com/ It's a thin liquid like penetrating oil and
when applied seeps into cavities and places you normally can't access. It will prevents rust or stop rusting that has already started. It will wash off over time so needs to be re-applied periodically.
Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cbones wrote:
mgh122 wrote:
"Cbones Nothing to worry about? Only $2500 to repair a 3 foot section that totally rotted through behind the rear wheel on a 5 year old"

What chassis manufacturer. Diesel or gas? I would be very upset, did you buy it used?

2010 Fleetwood Discovery

Didn't anyone notice the deterioration during normal maintenance procedures? It sort of looks like it should have been addressed before it got that bad.

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
mgh122 wrote:

2010 Fleetwood Discovery

box710
Explorer
Explorer
I spray fluid film on the underside of all my vehicles. just spray it on and leave it.it lasts quite a long time and keeps rust at bay. i got mine from amazon .com and it is usually sold in lots of 3 spray cans. do some research on it and you will find that our military uses it on ll their vehicles. just a suggestion

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing to worry about unless you winter travel here in the rust belt.

Spent some time this year helping friends look for used MH and we saw some real rusty stuff here in the midwest.
Rusty basement compartment frames, windshield frames & Chassis frame extensions are probably the biggest early problem areas. All quite expensive fixes.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

mgh122
Explorer
Explorer

Mike & Peg
Aint' life grand!!
'05 Discovery 39S
'04 Grand Cherokee Freedom, M&G, Roadmaster Sterling
http://discovery-on-the-road.blogspot.com/
Zeus the Wonder Dog
"makes you wonder doesn't he"

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing to worry about? Only $2500 to repair a 3 foot section that totally rotted through behind the rear wheel on a 5 year old coach.

mhbell
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
I use my MH when I want where I want and if the darn frame rusts out I will get a new one or fix the one I have.
I could get in an accident or have storm damage or some other problem.
The thinking of not using it because it might rust or some other calamity befall the rig it would mean it has to sit in a temperature and humidity controlled concrete bunker so it is protected. THAT IS NOT WHY I HAVE A RIG.
Use it and do not worry about what might happen
Amen I agree, in over 40 years of RVing with 18 rv's 9 of which were motor homes, all of them had rust. some were 18 years old and one over 20 years old. AFAIK none of them had ever had a undercoating. It would be pretty hard to undercoat mine now with all of the wiring, Exhaust system, jacks, hydralic hoses and tanks, and other parts. I am just wondering why some are warning people to look for rust on the under carrage when buying a motor home :h. It proves nothing unless it has been in a flood. all of them will have surface rust in a few years. As for myself I won't be worrying about it.
Mel
2004 Thor Four Winds Infinity R32 Class A Motor Home with F-53 Ford Chassis. Toad is a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Monaco came from the factory with undercoating. I have driven all over the country during the Winter and when we are not traveling it is parked at our property on a lake and about 1 mile from the salt water in the Gulf of Mexico. There is hardly any rust on the underside of our coach. Perhaps the factory undercoating is doing what it is supposed to do.

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
mhbell wrote:
I have read several posts on people worrying about Rust on the chassis underneath of Motor Homes. What is the big deal?
🙂

When you have to start replacing square tubing structure you'll understand what the big deal is. Chassis rust is not a big deal, the rather thin square tubing is along with all the other thin, cheap sheet metal they use.

Once every spring with a wire wheel and a few cans of paint keeps things under control. Some fluid film protectant inside the square tubing and all is good.

Rust affects the trade in or sale value. It's just a regular maintenance item.

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
Mine had rust also when I got it still looks the same after 13 years. Winnebago has nothing to do with the frame just the box they put on it.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that a rusting frame was mostly a Winnebago issue?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

drcook
Explorer
Explorer
Here in Ohio, it is the rust belt capital of the world, well maybe shared with Michigan. I undercoat my vehicles, especially ones that will see salt or other road de-icer. Ziebart undercoating works well. So does spraying with oil.

It is just a matter of managing your equipment.

Even our travel trailer, which never leaves the drive when it snows, gets some rust. I use a product named Os-Pho. It is phosphoric acid. It kills rust. I treat the rust and paint the spots. Problem solved.

The absolute worst thing that can happen is to have brake lines rust out. Everyone that does not live in the rust free areas of the country should make it a habit of having the brake lines inspected (on a vehicle that has them of course).
2004.5 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison - was an Overheater fixed it!!! Bilsteins, Banks stuff, Hellwig Sway bars front and back
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX

2 Doberman/Rhodesian Ridgeback Crosses - brothers
2 Beagles
1 Shih Poo
1 Shih Tzu
1 Camping Cat
1 wife