cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV motor won't stay running

Gail_Phillips
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2001 Winnebego Minnie Winnie. Trying to go camping for the first time this year. Illness and surgery got in the way of camping season. Wouldn't start so I took the battery to be tested and it was dead. Bought a new battery and installed. Our driveway for the Rv is on a pretty steep slant. The way we parked the gas tank is at the bottom of the slant with the motor at the top. The motor turns over but doesn't seem to be getting fuel. We sprayed starter fluid into the carborator but still didn't work. Any suggestions?
14 REPLIES 14

fleetwoodjambo
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the pump in the tank, you may have a mechanical boost pump closer to the engine underneath the driver's side, as my class C does. Alot of people, including a mechanic argued about having a second fuel pump until i showed it to him. This is because the fuel has a long way to travel from the tank to engine, not like a cars. If either one is bad (assuming you have mechanical boost pump too), could be the issue, EVEN if you can hear the pump in the tank. I would get fuel pressure checked.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis, what engine ?

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like it's firing with starting fluid so I'm assuming it's not getting gas. It would run on old gas if it was getting up to the injectors. Maybe not run well, but would run. I pumped 85 gallons of 5-year-old gas out of my rig and burned it in my cars without a problem (long story). It did have a stabilizer in it though.

If it worked when you parked it and doesn't now, it can't hurt to dump 5 gallons of fresh fuel into it to see if it's the steep slope causing your problem.

As others have said, you should hear a fuel pump run (prime) back at the tank when you turn on the key. It will stop after a few seconds. When you crank it (turn key to start) it senses oil pressure and will continue to run. But the key is whether you hear it at all. If you don't, that's your problem. There will also be a test port (Schrader valve) on the fuel rail somewhere. Depressing that will tell you whether you have fuel pressure to the injectors (it will also spray fuel everywhere but not a lot).
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Is this on a Ford or Chevy chassis? Most have an in tank fuel sock, don't know about the new Chevys, but my 95 had an in line fuel filter on the passenger side frame rail just in front of the rear axle.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lucas makes a fuel treatment which is a lubricator/cleaner and they also make a fuel stabilizer. Two different products.
It could be the gas.
If its not fuel related or fuel pump/fuel filter related then other possibilities could be as follows. BTW, fuel filters usually show they are dirty when the vehicle won't perform under load or high speed.

(I'm not a schooled mechanic but I was able to ask one)

Does the vehicle run if you leave your foot on the gas pedal so the rpm's increase ? If you let off the gas and allow it to return to idle, will it then shut off ? If so, suggest to the mechanic to look into the idle air control valve.

Also:
Ignition modules function in two modes. The start and run modes. During the start mode, the ignition module allows full voltage to the coil(s). Once the engine starts, the ignition switch moves to the run position, the ignition module drops the voltage to the coil(s). If that would occur w/o reducing the voltage the secondary components would burn out in the run mode.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
It should have a fuel pump relay that turns on when you have oil pressure.
It will cycle the pump for a few seconds when you first turn the key on.
You need to turn the key on and off to get the pressure up.
If you listen at the tank when key is first turned on you should be able to hear the pump.

Gail_Phillips
Explorer
Explorer
the gas was put in last fall and we used lucas gas treatment.

Gail_Phillips
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the responses. Appreciate the suggestions. It's getting dark so we have to quit for the night. We'll try some of the things pointed out. I'll try to post the outcome.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
How old is your gas? And did you put stabilizer in it at the end of last camping season?
2010 Suncruiser

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Can you jack up the rear to get it more level? I don't know where the fuel pickup is in the tank.
The fuel pump is another item to consider.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
On my rigs past, there was a fuel filter located inside the frame rail on the drivers side. You need a special little tool to unlock the tabs. All the auto parts stores sell them. There is also a filter sock located on the in tank pump that could be clogged also. You can test the fuel pressure at the fuel injector rail. But I would put a new fuel filter on it first, and if no good, then test for pressure, if still no good you might need a new in tank fuel pump. Have someone turn the key to on while you listen down at the tank, you should here the pump hum, if not that may be your culprit.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Gail_Phillips
Explorer
Explorer
It did fire but wouldn't continue. Sorry I didn't include that in my first reply.

Gail_Phillips
Explorer
Explorer
we have probably 1/2 tank or more. Does anyone know where the fuel filter is on my model? I'm going through all my books to see if I have anything that shows it. Thanks for the quick reply.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think a 2001 Winnebago has a carburetor.
When you sprayed starter fluid into the intake, did the engine fire?

How much fuel is in the tank?