cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Security

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was over on the Technology subject looking for some advice on putting a security camera in my storage unit. While doing research I discovered a product that I did not know existed, but if it works as advertised it would make a really good security system for your motorhome. It's a wireless security camera that works directly on the cellular network. It's made by Arlo and is called the Arlo go. Looks like it will work with several different providers.

I ordered mine directly from Verizon and it will be added to my already existing Verizon account. I don't have it yet, so I'll have to report on it when I get it. But it comes with motion detection and two-way communication and you can log on and view it live from your smart phone. It will also send your smart phone an alert if the motion detector is triggered. So it can be used in your motorhome at your campsite to monitor things while you're away. You just have to have LTE coverage at the campsite.

I plan on using mine inside my storage unit where I have power. But I'll bring the camera along for camping trips so we can monitor the motorhome while were away from it. They say the battery lasts up to 45 days so you could even use this if your motorhome is in storage at a lot without power. Just buy and extra battery and go down once a month and swap the removable battery.

Thought I'd pass this info along as this appears to be a great solution for security of your RV. I'll let you know if it really works as advertised when I get it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

45 REPLIES 45

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
If you have it in your garage, how come you went with the Arlo Go over the WiFi model? The reason I got the Go is because I'm putting it inside a storage facility where I don't have regular Internet access. But if I had an unlimited cell phone data plan, I can see going for it at the house. I have two acres and with the Arlo Go you can put the camera anyplace you want. Right now I have Ring Cameras and they are all on the outter walls of the house and I did have to get some WiFi range extenders to make them all work.

I purchased the Arlo Go to use with the 5th wheel when traveling.

Have in my garage right now to learn how to use the various features and determine how reliable the unit is.

Also battery life and response time to motion events. Range of motion detection etc.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have it in your garage, how come you went with the Arlo Go over the WiFi model? The reason I got the Go is because I'm putting it inside a storage facility where I don't have regular Internet access. But if I had an unlimited cell phone data plan, I can see going for it at the house. I have two acres and with the Arlo Go you can put the camera anyplace you want. Right now I have Ring Cameras and they are all on the outter walls of the house and I did have to get some WiFi range extenders to make them all work.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Arlo Go.

I have had it set up in my garage right now and get about 20 motion events per day.

The camera works as advertised.

The camera has been running for two weeks as so far has not shut down or gone off line.

I just checked the battery which is at 52 percent after two weeks with at least 20 ten second recordings per day for two weeks.

The camera reacts to a motion event much faster than my Ring Door bell does. Most of the time when I walk past the camera at close range it records me. My Ring Door Bell takes about 3 to 5 seconds before it records.

The Arlo Go also records all events to a SD card.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got the camera today and got it set up. Set up was pretty easy and just playing with it here at the house it seems to work as advertised. The camera can be turned off and on directly from the App on your phone and can be reset too. You can also "deactivate" the camera easily from the app. So when I'm going to be at the storage facility working I can deactivate the camera so it isn't recording me and using data. The camera itself is about the size of a baseball with a flat bottom. With the long battery life it would be easy to take it along camping so you can keep an eye on the motorhome while away.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
So add an adapter to the price of equipment and that still makes $20 a month cheaper than $5 a month?

never said it did or would. i was simply pointing out that the mobley does not need to be plugged into the obd port.

Okay sorry, I see that now. I thought you were agreeing that a more complex and more expensive setup was somehow better than the cheaper and less complex setup that just had a higher initial equipment cost.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
So add an adapter to the price of equipment and that still makes $20 a month cheaper than $5 a month?

never said it did or would. i was simply pointing out that the mobley does not need to be plugged into the obd port.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mile High wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:

I researched the mobile hotspot and the general consensus is the hotspots tend to go offline a lot and have to be reset. My motorhome storage is 75 miles from home. Long ways to go to reset it. Also, this camera is a one piece unit. No need for a hotspot in the middle.
I certainly understand - our storage is 88 miles away and I swear I put more mileage on going back and forth to check something or grab something I forgot than its worth.

You need to find someplace closer! ๐Ÿ™‚ The only reason mine is currently so far away is because it is where I plan on moving in about six months. I had the motorhome stored close to home, but while we were up looking for a new house I came across the storage units that were brand new. The guy only had two left and they were going fast. So I went ahead and got it, even though for the next six months it's 75 miles away. It will work out well because it's 1000 sf total space so my motorhome takes up less than half the space. So for the next six months I'll be moving stuff up there and into storage to make the eventual move to a new house that much easier.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Goldencrazy wrote:
I use d-link at home and cottage as well as ring doorbell. Like them all and they operate off wifi. Have been looking for something to operate off cellular. The equipment cost seems high but it is all you need. The five bucks is really good. Thanks.

I didn't look around for price and I went to this one mainly because it was available directly from my wireless provider (Verizon) and on my existing account. So it was easy. There are other cameras out there that work over the cell system but if you don't get them on your existing account, you have to create an account just for them and I just assumed that wouldn't be cheap.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I know Don, I'm just having fun with some of my replies. I've worked with many security systems to include cameras both at my house and in commercial use, and this simple Arlo camera that works directly over the cell network is a great idea. Completely eliminating the wifi network saves money, saves on hardware costs, and makes the system more reliable. The big problem with the wifi issue at a remote location is everybody I have communicated with says the mobile hotspots routinely go down and have to be reset. That's a problem for a remote installation.

I got the info I need from these posts! Reminds me of a post I made a few years ago when I asked about buying a small welder and learning to weld and I wanted to know the best type for a novice to start with. By the third page of replies I was getting advice on how to get an underwater welder job on offshore oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico!!

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I use d-link at home and cottage as well as ring doorbell. Like them all and they operate off wifi. Have been looking for something to operate off cellular. The equipment cost seems high but it is all you need. The five bucks is really good. Thanks.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If many of the posters in this post had READ and COMPREHENDED what you wrote, they would realize that what you found DOES NOT require a WiFi network to operate, which has ALWAYS been the problem with security devices. Finding power for a small device is usually pretty easy to get around, but not so much if there is no WiFi.

If my coach wasn't stored at home, this new product sounds great.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
msmith1199 wrote:

YOu guys debate price. I'm against the whole idea of it. If you want security get an alarm system.
I do not want to monitor my home or RV when I'm away from it.
Worrying or checking a camera would detract from my experience.
What happens if the camera alerts me? Am I supposed to drop what I'm doing and respond somehow. No thanks... I have insurance to allow me to be be care free and not worry about what could be happening!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
cmcdar wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
path1 wrote:
Thanks for posting...If you wouldn't mind would you post back after you have been using it couple months?

I talked with Verizon at corp store awhile back and it sounded good. But the "tech" talk went over my head in first couple of min.

I'm in process of deciding on what to get for car port and RV and this looks good. But again don't know for sure.

Same house in our family for over 42 years, last couple years generator and air compressor grew legs from my carport and locking gas cap on Class C broken off.

My dog is not the answer unless maybe a thief wants his face washed with dog kisses.

If you're looking for something for at your house, if you have a WiFi network then a wifi camera would be the best way to go. There are many of those out there. The main purpose of this camera is for use in places where there is no wifi, or where wifi would be difficult to set up. Since this camera transmits directly on the cell network all you need is the cell coverage. So you can use this in very remote locations if you want to, as long as you have the cell coverage.

ZTE Mobley offered by AT&T with their $20. per month unlimited data plan, Car Connect - runs off 12v power.

IF you want to spend a lot of money - you can.

BUT you can do the same thing with a $46. Samsung Smart Cam (no monthly service required) and a $20. per month data/wifi Car Connect plan.

So you want me to pay $20 a month, pay $46 for the camera, pay for the ZTE Mobley that is a device that has to be plugged into the computer port of the vehicle, and you think that's cheaper than what I posted and easier?

adapters for the mobley can be had that will plug into a 120-VAC outlet, a USB outlet or a 12-volt outlet to provide power.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
cmcdar wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
path1 wrote:
Thanks for posting...If you wouldn't mind would you post back after you have been using it couple months?

I talked with Verizon at corp store awhile back and it sounded good. But the "tech" talk went over my head in first couple of min.

I'm in process of deciding on what to get for car port and RV and this looks good. But again don't know for sure.

Same house in our family for over 42 years, last couple years generator and air compressor grew legs from my carport and locking gas cap on Class C broken off.

My dog is not the answer unless maybe a thief wants his face washed with dog kisses.

If you're looking for something for at your house, if you have a WiFi network then a wifi camera would be the best way to go. There are many of those out there. The main purpose of this camera is for use in places where there is no wifi, or where wifi would be difficult to set up. Since this camera transmits directly on the cell network all you need is the cell coverage. So you can use this in very remote locations if you want to, as long as you have the cell coverage.

ZTE Mobley offered by AT&T with their $20. per month unlimited data plan, Car Connect - runs off 12v power.

IF you want to spend a lot of money - you can.

BUT you can do the same thing with a $46. Samsung Smart Cam (no monthly service required) and a $20. per month data/wifi Car Connect plan.

So you want me to pay $20 a month, pay $46 for the camera, pay for the ZTE Mobley that is a device that has to be plugged into the computer port of the vehicle, and you think that's cheaper than what I posted and easier?

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4