cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Skylights

SteveR58
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious if anyone has used a flat Acrylic sheet in place of a skylight. I have a situation where I got a new to me RV that has some damage around one end of the skylight due to water intrusion and a friends suggested that since many skylights are acrylic why not just use a acrylic sheet and extend it beyond the damaged area so that there will be no more damage from water. I checked with a local acrylic company and they can cut me a smoked 1/4" acrylic sheet to any size I want up to 8'X4' and I am thinking this is a good idea. Anybody know why you can't use it in place of the cheap domes? TIA
17 REPLIES 17

Peapicker
Explorer
Explorer
Just did that in a 34 ft Bounder. Worked out great. Bought a cut piece of acrylic from a skylight co. In Colo. Cost me $60 for them to cut it and ship it. It was a good deal for me. I'm 6 ft. 2 and it worked for me. It dressed out nice. Used stainless screws and stainless washers to finish it off. Gary

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice to do it right.

SteveR58
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everyone for the help. I did opt to cut the roof rubber and peel it back. I had to remove a section of old wood roofing and to firm up the whole area I ran a 16 gauge sheet metal to help secure the new wood. The wood is in and screwed and glued down and tomorrow I will use 3m rubber glue to reset the rubber roof onto the wood. Then on Tuesday the eternabond tape should be in so either Tuesday or Wednesday I should be able to have it secured to the point I can put the original skylight back in this week. Again thanks all for the suggestions and I ended up learning how to replace wood on the roof.

SteveR58
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
I would attempt repairing what You already have.the Rubber Roof material will peel back quite a way and can be cut and re glued where necessary. Eternabond Tape plus a generous glob of Dicor sealant will easily cover any visible repairs

I have to ask if I can, can eternabond can be used to re-seal a seam if I cut the rubber roof to get at the wood in the area that needs fixing. The roof has been painted with roof sealant in the past and not being familiar with the eternabond tape product I want to ask for the pros and cons to doing this repair. Of course I would like to do this repair the right way so I am contemplating what has been said and learning from you all.

I realize I would have to go from beam to beam to add a replacement piece so I know I would have to open it up a bit.

I was also told that I can use 3m's spray adhesive to glue the rubber back down on the wood. Good idea? Thanks.

SteveR58
Explorer
Explorer
If I had the expertise I would attempt it but sadly I can do electric, motors, plumbing, and other items but when it comes to repairing a roof I just do not have the experience or knowledge. When I reached out to the local RV repair shop they will not repair roofs. They only replace at the 150. a foot price. That attitude is why many people do things they don't want to do to make sure a roof doesn't leak anymore. I am like many that enjoy RV'ing. retired and on fixed income and while I might attempt such a repair with having someone knowledgeable guiding and assisting me as a backup up I would not attempt it on my own with the possibility of destroying a RV.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I would attempt repairing what You already have.the Rubber Roof material will peel back quite a way and can be cut and re glued where necessary. Eternabond Tape plus a generous glob of Dicor sealant will easily cover any visible repairs.

Re framing the existing skylight is a relatively simple carpentry job .Even splicing onto existing cross members is not hard to accomplish.

The Roof sheeting will need to be cut back from the rotted area and replaced with new Plywood or OSB .

Install new Dry insulation ,a vapor barrier and use stainless fasteners and lots of Contact Cemen!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

SteveR58
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, It sounds like lexan may be the way to go so I will look for a supplier of sheet lexan here in Palm Bay or the surrounding area of Florida but will take a break from that project as it is still on the rig since I have removed the rear skylight over the bathroom that had a crack on the flange (Lucky I caught that one now). A new one is supposed to be here tomorrow. Wanted to get it done so it would not end up like the front skylight! Suggestions always welcome and thanks.

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
You should use Polycarbonate(lexan)as it won't shatter or crack if something were to hit it or someone were to jump on it. If you were to layer it for some insulation, you could use acrylic spaced under it.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

SteveR58
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will check into all the suggestions. It is sad that some people just let their RV's go to the point that small things become big things. I love RV's and thought I had looked closely at this one. It is mine now and I don't want the problem to get worse but also can't afford to put a new roof on at 150. a foot on a 98 35 footer! Anyway I appreciate all the suggestions and will look into all of them. Sometimes it is good to get others opinions and suggestions from those that may have been there.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Use Lexan instead of acrylic, it is hail proof and will not degrade for a much longer time in sunlight. It is easily drillable with the 'arrowhead' shaped bit for glass,tile & plastics.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
My MOHO came with a dark tinted skylight over the shower that I really didn't like and I couldn't locate a clear or translucent one in the same size. After some searching I found AIA Industries:

http://www.aiaindustries.com/

They fabricated a white translucent polycarbonate one for me with a dome exactly to my specifications and can pretty much make any shape/size you want. It might be worth a call.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

SteveR58
Explorer
Explorer
After reviewing my options I don't see much choice but to try this approach to fixing the RV skylight and roof. It is not a choice I like but in order to fix the roof next to the skylight I would have to have a new rubber roof after replacing the wood under it in that area and there is no way I would opt for that. In other words it boils down to money. I should of looked closer before I bought this RV last week! ๐Ÿ˜ž Lesson learned!

SteveR58
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
You can still buy replacement skylights that will fit in the same spot on your RV. In fact they are available at thru your local building supply stores.
Yes, you can still buy replacements and in fact there are a number of them that are acrylic as well. Just not flat. The problem is that I am going to use a bigger piece to cover a bigger area because of the damaged area of the wood on one side of the existing skylight. There is no way to repair the wood in the area without cutting the rubber roof and I am not going there. Sad that some people just let these problems continue to the point that it is to a point of damaging wood. Thanks pat

SteveR58
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
I suppose it could work. I have used acylic before on other applications and it's difficult to drill into without cracking it thus inviting problems.

Thanks, I have used the 1/4 acrylic before for other things and never had it crack. Usually easy to drill to but have to use new drill bits and masking tape the area to help before drilling I have found.

Thanks Effy for the info.