cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV steps don't retract when engine is started

Blaise
Explorer
Explorer
I just got my rig out of the shop for some maintenance, and on my way home (almost all the way home), I noticed that the steps were not retracted. I drove 25 miles on the highway without seeing that - that's on me.

The steps have 2 modes - (1) auto open and close whenever the screen door opens and closes; and (2) stay open ignoring the door opening or closing. But when in this mode, starting the engine causes the steps to retract. At least they USED TO work that way.

Starting the engine no longer causes them to retract when in mode 2. So mode 1 works as it always has, but mode 2 only partially works. The steps stay open no matter what.

I've had the rig 6 years, and this is the first time I've seen this behavior. I'm pretty sure they worked properly when I dropped the RV off at the shop (2 months ago!), I almost always have the steps set to mode 2, and I think I remember the steps sliding out when I arrived at the shop to drop it off. But to be honest I can't swear to that.

When I picked it up, the door was closed and the steps were out, so it was definitely in mode 2. They just didn't close when I started the engine and drove away.

Anyone ever see this type of behavior, or can hazard a guess as to what might be causing this problem?

Thanks!
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
Toad: 2015 Chevy Sonic hatchback
26 REPLIES 26

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have that problem with my steps not working after sitting for a long period of time. crawled under with a small hammer and gave the unit a whap a couple times with the hammer. in they went and after some good lubricant, worked ok after that

Happy Travels, Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:
Check to make sure the magnet that controls the door switch is still in place.

If the magnet is missing, the system will think the door is still open.

I believe he stated that the steps extended and retracted when the wall switch was on, which means the Magnet is working. IF they do NOT, then yes, his door magnet switch is the problem. Doug

Good call Doug, I missed the part about the door working correctly with the door switch.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing I found on my gasser.
If I turned the key to on.. pause pause pause pause START. the steps (And awning) retracted
If I slamned it straight from LOCK to Start they did not.

THe reason.. When the starter engaged voltage dropped.. Motor current climbed and the controller thought "limit reached".

Another thing that can keep the steps extended is the door switch. It finally got to the point where I put in an override that told it "Door closed" even if it was wide open. Simple toggle switch and wires is all you need. ID the Door switch wires and splice it in.. Now depending on the controller you put in in series with the existing switch or in parallel (mine was parallel)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having a low voltage condition on your battery makes the steps not
operate correctly. Check your voltage at the steps.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
In 43 years I have NEVER had a Module go bad on the Ignition override. I have worked on thousands of Kwikee steps. The previous poster that stated a bad module, from what I have seen over my 43 years, the shop replaced the module, then FOUND THE REAL problem and fixed it and sold the customer a high dollar part and did not want to reinstall the original module and admit they diagnosed it wrong. Doug

Blaise
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses guys. Doug is right, the steps operate normally except for not retracting when in what I called "manual" mode, the door is closed and the engine is started. (or what the service manual calls "override" - when the override switch is set to ON). But thanks for the thought StarkNaked (great handle!)

Like Doug said, the service manual details a yellow wire coming from the 4 conductor connector that must get 12v when the ignition key is turned on.

I'll check the voltage on that line, and if it doesn't get the 12v with the ignition on, I'll check the fuse/breaker - on second thought, I'll check the fuse first! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'll do this as soon as the rain lets up ๐Ÿ™‚

If the fuse is good and the yellow wire is getting 12v with the ignition on, then I'll have to do like ae5573t suggests, check the control module. That'll probably cost a pretty penny to replace!

Again, thanks for the feedback guys!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
StarkNaked wrote:

I believe he stated that the steps extended and retracted when the wall switch was on, which means the Magnet is working. IF they do NOT, then yes, his door magnet switch is the problem. Doug

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II

ae5573t
Explorer
Explorer
When my steps would not retract with the ignition key on, it turned out to be the step control module which is part of the step motor assembly.
2018 Thor Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Under the step at the 4 wire connector is a YELLOW wire. THAT wire must have 12 volts when Ignition is ON. IF it does NOT, then that fuse is blown ands usually located at the LF fuse panel in front of the LF tire in that compartment. The Yellow HOT wire is what tells the step to retract when engine ON and the entry door closed. The entry door MUST be closed for the Ignition override to work. Doug

Blaise
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, good idea! I just started paging through the manual ...

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Look up the operation/maintenance manual for your step. Generally there is a wire for the engine running and wires for the door closed. Wiring, connectors, fuses, controller etc are all suspect.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob