cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV SWAY

9274kks
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1998 Fleetwood Bounder with a P30 chassis. When on the interstate, and tractor trailers go by, it feels like it pulls the RV into the truck and with this sway, it almost feels like the RV is out of control. What can be done to fix this?
9 REPLIES 9

9274kks
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much for all of the suggestions. We will look into them.
Steve

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
You might look at Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass, OR for info and then check for suspension shops in your area. The sway bars really cut down on the trucks blowing us off the road.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Check all that has been suggested to make sure you don't have any suspension problems causing it to be worse than is normal. Repair any faulty parts and if that doesn't help adequately, you may have to consider the same thing I did....a Class A Motorhome doesn't drive like a car, or even a passenger truck. It took me a while to get the idea through my head that it wasn't going to be sucked into the side of a tractor-trailer every time one passed me. I remember growing up traveling, my Dad pulling our tag-along camper, and every time a truck passed us he would remark how much it pulled him. He finally talked to a truck driver who said that he just needed to relax, not panic and over correct and the pull would be gone without any harm. I panicked at first when I started driving our Class A, but thought about the advice given to Pop and now, I just drive through it. In all honesty, I find that some smaller cars make more impact when passing than the big rigs.

In summary... check tire pressures, for repairable items with your suspension, consider add-ons like track bars or air bags, and other than that, go drive your RV and enjoy camping!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unfortunately, you have to just grip the wheel tight and pay attention. The pressure generated can't be helped. This even happens with vehicles.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Good read for P30 chassis Here

I had a P30 chassis for years and did just about everything to it ipd large diameter front sway bar with poly front and rear bushings,idler arm,super steer bell crank,super steer front coil springs,super steer rear trac bar,steering dampner,steer safe,Koni shocks,inner and outer tie rods,two sets of tires over the years and a few alignments and still hated the way it drove. I fixed it by selling it and getting a DP. :B
These chassis were made to be potato chip delivery trucks not rvs.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Well Thomas/NH. Thanks for the intro to laminar flow. After about 20 minutes of browsing - I now have an understanding of laminar flow. Wondered about how those fountains did what they do. Always good to learn something new on this camping website. ๐Ÿ™‚

RE: The OP, start with tire pressures, make sure you are not under inflated. I had a P32 for a while and became more aware of trucks in my mirror that were coming around me. Amazing what moving over a foot or so can do to minimize the "suck" of the truck. wolfe10 had some good suggestions. The bell crank wear is a common problem with the P series I think.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
That's called "laminar flow". The air being displaced by both the truck and your rig speeds up as it passes between the two and creates a low pressure. Your rig being the lighter of the two gets sucked into it. There's not much you can do about it, except keep a tight grip on wheel, sometimes you can lessen the effect by turning away from the truck. If the bushing and ball joints on you rig are worn, the more the effect.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome.

Yes, there are a number of aftermarket products that will help.

BUT, first verify that the OE is in reasonable condition:

Check sway bar bushings-- if you can see daylight, replace them with polyurethane.

Are you carrying the proper PSI in your standard front air bags (inside coil springs)?

Check for play in the steering linkage, particularly the left bell crank.

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Moved from Forum Technical Support