cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Worth For Insurance

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
What do I insure my RV for with low retail being 158,500 and Avg being 191,000.
Don't want to over or under insure!
Thank You
10 REPLIES 10

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most will use an ACV amount unless your unit is less than 5 years old., In that case you can pay for Replacement Cost coverage if you wish. They usually quote that on newer units but you can usually decline RC and purchase an ACV policy if you wish.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most will use an ACV amount unless your unit is less than 5 years old., In that case you can pay for Replacement Cost coverage if you wish. They usually quote that on newer units but you can usually decline RC and purchase an ACV policy if you wish.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I am more concerned about liability insurance and less about ACV so I let the insurance company set that. Way less chance of a total loss and way more chance of an accident working agents you. Then some shyster Attorney convincing the Judge to award everything you worked your whole life for.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
I have Progressive thru USAA and just adjusted my Actual Cash Value coverage from $70K to $55K...which is what my payoff is and what I would need to cover if the Bounder was a total loss. Saved $10 a month.

I recently got a quote from FMCA Insurance and they put my ACV at $45K, which is pretty much retail value. I could get Progressive to go another $10K ACV because I'm the original owner and have had Progressive for 10 years.
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
dons2346 wrote:
The insurance company will use some mumbo jumbo calculations and cone up with a number that they will insure it for. If you want it insured for more, they will require an appraisal which you will have to pay for.

This is what my ins does , THEY determine its value, you don't and if you want something else you pay additional and or need a appraisal. If you owe more than that value you can purchase gap insurance in addition. Many people are surprised when they find out what the ins will ( wont) pay on a total loss
Bill

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
The insurance company will use some mumbo jumbo calculations and cone up with a number that they will insure it for. If you want it insured for more, they will require an appraisal which you will have to pay for.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd go blue book value. Then get quotes at 10k more or 10k less. See where it all lands and go for the best deal.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On the insurance for my RV, I also have a separate figure that is used for personal items and non-factory accessories, like a GPS unit, etc. This may be something like $5000-$10,000. Most collision coverage will not cover your personal items.

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
want-a-be wrote:
What do I insure my RV for with low retail being 158,500 and Avg being 191,000.
Don't want to over or under insure!
Thank You

You will probably find that there is not much difference in premium between the low and high.I would check rates for both or compromise for something int he middle ie. $175k
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
What would you be happy with if you sold it? That is what you insure it for. Don't be greedy, be realistic.