cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad Day

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
Put the coach away for the winter today after 3 weeks of getting it ready oil changes and winterize the coach.We have long winters in Ohio and we store our coach at the fair grounds . So will not see it till at least the end of March. What do you do all winter to keep your busy so you do not get depressed. Any Ideas would be great . Thanks for this great site
16 REPLIES 16

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fortunate to have the coach at the homestead so winter time is for projects. This winter is power train maintenance (engine coolant and differential oil change) and interior deep cleaning. Might redo the fresh water plumbing to replace and add additional low point drain valves. Current valves are behind a panel under the vanity sink that doesn't like to be removed. If there's still time I want to rewire the fridge 120VAC circuit which is currently shared with the most commonly used outlets. Adds an extra step to switch the fridge from auto to gas when I switch in a low wattage inverter.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being frequent to Vegas I would have to make it clear, that stripping there happens only at "Gentlemen clubs" or privacy of hotels.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:

So that and building motorcycles is how i will spend my winter. Oh yeah and a strip to Vegas.

Stripping in Vegas is a great way to cure depression! :B

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take up sledding or snowboarding.... or, snowmobile.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
Our MH never gets any rest. To Orlando for Thanksgiving and then to St. Augustine for New Years. Living in Florida has its advantages.

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
Come out to Palm Springs and join the thousands who have fun all winter.
Some stay all winter, others park their RV here and visit it on the weekends.
Motor Coach Country Club is where I stay, but there are many others
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP was looking for things to do considering that he CANNOT go south for the winter. Contrary to what 90% of the people on here think, not everyone can go south for the winter. Some of us have obligations/jobs that would frown upon it.

During the winter storage months my wife and I go to every camper show we can find. Its fun to look for new campgrounds and new "ideas" for our MH. I also take in a few motorcycle shows over the winter.

Also it is helpful to have a list of things that your MH needs and start acquiring them before spring time. Are there any upgrades you want to do? If so now is the time to buy the materials for the upgrades. We also start planning our next trips. I build a spreadsheet with links to campgrounds, stuff to see and so on. I fill in prices and ratings and then plug in links to video. This takes a lot of time but I have 6 months of winter here so time is on my side. I will be going to Sturgis in 2017 and started my spreadsheet of "info" a few months ago. This weekend we will meet up with another couple that will be going with us and we will start the review. Yes I know its super nerdy but you have to do something during the long winter months.

So that and building motorcycles is how i will spend my winter. Oh yeah and a strip to Vegas.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the ideas . Sounds like I am not the only one that have to say good buy to there coach .I will try to do some traveling but the last two winters have been really bad with snow emergencies so travel is difficult.

Thanks again

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Take you and your Motorhome to Arizona.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks rgatijnet1
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
icanon wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Keep traveling. Winter is a great time to visit some of the National Parks. The Grand Canyon in January is practically deserted and you can enjoy the beauty without any of the crowds. At the RV park inside the Grand Canyon we were one of six other RV's. The deer were wandering all through the park between the RV's. There a lot of RV parks that are open all year and we have never had trouble finding a place to stay.

What's the weather and temperature like that time of the year?

Cold with snow on the ground. Really nice! :B

eieioh
Explorer
Explorer
We keep our rig in storage where we can access it year around. We usually take it out once a month, or at least drive her to the local fish and chips house, then to the lake to have lunch while running the generator. This also lubricates the seals and cleans the rust off the brakes.

Now, if we really have to get away and stay in Ohio... The state park lodges usually have specials we take advantage of. We are retired, so we can go midweek and use that advantage. But, the specials are still good on the weekends. We find that a two or three night stay can cost only a little more than taking the rig and paying for a campsite.

These work for us. I do not know your situation, so for you, maybe not so much.

Tight lines!

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Keep traveling. Winter is a great time to visit some of the National Parks. The Grand Canyon in January is practically deserted and you can enjoy the beauty without any of the crowds. At the RV park inside the Grand Canyon we were one of six other RV's. The deer were wandering all through the park between the RV's. There a lot of RV parks that are open all year and we have never had trouble finding a place to stay.

What's the weather and temperature like that time of the year?
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate