cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

safe-t-plus steering stabilizers

davidgebo
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2014 Thor Vegas. We had many problems, now mostly fixed, but one in particular, was safety related. The front-end alignment was never checked and re-aligned by Thor after the coach body was mounted on the stripped chassis. I had the front-end lined up properly, by a Ford dealer, and Thor agreed to reimburse me for the expense. The tech at Ford service said there were tell tale parts in the front end that they would know by looking, that the front end was Ford spec from the factory and never touched after manufacture. I have yet to receive the check, but I am hopeful Thor will honor the commitment. Generally Thor has been receptive and helpful during our year-long shakedown period, and has done their best to correct the quality control issues. After the alignment, the Vegas is still a little squirrely, but much better than before. I would like some input from RVers who have installed the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizers on their motorhomes. I have survived a rollover accident in the recent past, and do not relish the idea of another one, from a tire blowout, pothole, or some fool cutting me off. Things happen fast at highway speeds, and seeing RV rollovers on Youtube makes me want to take as many safety precautions as possible.
The Vegas, for those who do not know, is on a Ford E-350 chassis. I have researched the Safe-T-Plus and know what model to buy. I am able to install it myself, but for a few bucks, it would be easier and better to have a front end mechanic who is familiar with this device install mine.
I would appreciate any input from Rvers who have experience with this steering stabilizer before I invest in it.
5 REPLIES 5

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
blazenpm wrote:
I recently had the Safety Plus Stabilizer installed on my Class A Bounder. I highly recommend that you have a experienced alignment shop that works with RVs install the stabilizer. It is a very precise adjustment to secure it to the steering rod. Also, you will need to have the front end aligned. Do it right the first time. To much work to do it by yourself. Not to expensive either.
Nonsense. As long as your existing alignment is great, no need to have a shop put the stabilizer on. The ONLY issue I learned was that you need two people to do the final adjustment. You can't turn off the engine so you need someone to hold the wheel where you have set for straight while you loosen the gizmo and let it find center. Of course the other issue is making sure you have the correct torque wrenches to re-tighten all the bolts to proper specs.

bluebarry1964b
Explorer
Explorer
Installed one in my DP years ago; well worth the money. Did it myself & the only thing I found was that the fine tuning of it to get the steering wheel perfectly in the proper position as well as both wheels did take some time. However, with a little patience, I got it set right and it's been great.

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a DP on which I installed a Safe-T-Plus primarily for the safety issue in case of a blow out, BUT after installation the handling was much improved. Much easier to steer and maintain control.
I know my chassis and yours is quite different, but I installed mine in less than one hour. Easy, easy installation. It took two or three tries to get the straight ahead setup correctly, but that is just a little trial and error. Not hard at all. If you are reasonably good at mechanical work, you will not have any trouble installing it yourself!

blazenpm
Explorer
Explorer
I recently had the Safety Plus Stabilizer installed on my Class A Bounder. I highly recommend that you have a experienced alignment shop that works with RVs install the stabilizer. It is a very precise adjustment to secure it to the steering rod. Also, you will need to have the front end aligned. Do it right the first time. To much work to do it by yourself. Not to expensive either.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I was at Quartzsite and spoke to Safe T Plus people. They told me when installing they also change the caster. Together it helps the steering a lot.I have Steer Safe. Seems to have solved my problems. I was asking Safe T Plus about all the different brands and difference between PSI resistance. I think they knew what they were talking about. If I didn't have Steer Safe I would have had Safe T Plus installed.