cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Samsung RF18 and inverter

bkd148
Explorer
Explorer
I know this subject has been discussed many times but I would like the latest information possible. I just installed a Samsung RF18 refrigerator in our motorhome. The coach has a 2500 watt Trace/Xantrex modified sine wave inverter. I know a pure sine wave is best BUT, has anyone had real world experience running this refrigerator from a modified sine wave inverter? I just don't want to buy a $1,500. inverter if I don't have to.
Thank you, Marty
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Cat C-12 455hp. 6spd. Allison
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
9 REPLIES 9

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
It does not look like I did a lot of damage. I did not do a lot of testing. I had the batts charging for about 30 hours and then let set for an hour off charge. They settled at 12.8. They will serve us a while longer.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Well, I did a dumb one Sunday. Wasn't feeling well when we returned from a short weekend. Messed up my own routine. parked the rig beside the house, inverter on and forgot to plug in. Had emptied the fridge and all perishables from the MH. Realized it this morning and plugged it in before heading to work.

Will see what I did to the batts this evening. The batts are almost 6 years old so even if they do not recover, only lost a little.

Remember to turn off your inverter or plug in if gone for long. Our batts only last about 10 hours on the inverter with only the fridge on (and parasitics), without charging.

bkd148
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your replies. They have been very helpful in my decision. Marty
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Cat C-12 455hp. 6spd. Allison
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Our RF18 runs fine on our Tripp Lite rv750ulhw. We run it 80% on shoe an5 20% on inverter. Have run it 8 hours each time, on the inverter, for 2 test periods. No problems.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, a Samsung will run well on a MSW inverter because the compressor is NOT a AC motor...itโ€™s a DC compressor. Samsung converts the AC voltage (PSW or MSW) to DC to run the variable speed DC compressor. The ice maker in a Norcold is powered off the PSW inverter so it will make ice going down the road so while I do not have a Samsung, I would use the ice maker regardless of how itโ€™s powered.

A AC motor looses 10-15% when powered by a MSW power source so does a microwave. If you dry camp often then a PSW inverter may be worthwhile for the energy savings. In the early 2000s most MHs came with MSW inverters but not many had residential refrigerators.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I don't have a Samsung, my GE 21.5 cf side-by-side (ice and water through the door) has been working perfectly on a MSW inverter since 1999!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

phays
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a full timer and installed RF18 in my coach in March 2016. Running Freedom 2500 watt MSW inverter and no problems. I run on inverter anytime I'm rolling and when I boondock.

I've read that the ice maker may not like MSW so I usually don't run the ice maker on the inverter. I don't use much ice anyway.

pete
2000 40' Magna CAT C-10, #5892

Nor_Wester
Explorer
Explorer
Marty,

Our Monterey had the modified sine wave style. I burned up two things that had digital timers in them. One was a blender for margaritas.

It happened quick. So, my guess is that if your frig hasn't quit or been making weird noises, you're good.

Bill

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
bkd148 wrote:
I know this subject has been discussed many times but I would like the latest information possible. I just installed a Samsung RF18 refrigerator in our motorhome. The coach has a 2500 watt Trace/Xantrex modified sine wave inverter. I know a pure sine wave is best BUT, has anyone had real world experience running this refrigerator from a modified sine wave inverter? I just don't want to buy a $1,500. inverter if I don't have to.
Thank you, Marty

It's supposedly been tried and proven, for this particular model to run just fine on an MSW.
I know I wouldn't be buying one, unless it was proven otherwise and have only heard that some model fridges have certain ice maker electronics that doesn't like seeing a MSW.

Here's the guy that knows for sure, if you might want to give him a call...
Kevin Mallory
Cruising America RV Service Company
715 South Sugar Street
Celina, OH 45822
419-852-0791
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)