cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scored a NICE cargo van - let the fun begin!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ed just has a "nose for cars" - I'm not sure how he found it, but we now own a Transit T-250 LWB, medium roof cargo van. It's a 2015 - but brand new; warranty starts when we take delivery. LOADED - deluxe everything. It's from a fleet of vans destined to be converted into luxury vehicles/limos, etc - then the company had a fire 😞 It must have taken a long time to rebuild - so these vans just sat. Now they are discounting them heavily, simply to get them off the lot.

The front has leather seats/nav/power everything, backup sensors and camera. Dual batteries w/HD alternator. Cargo van w/rear door windows in back. They're going to install a Fantastic Fan for us, before they ship the unit out. We're still discussing windows - I want something that can be opened.

The company is named Waldoch Crafts out of the Minneapolis area. Super-nice people! Been wholesaling custom vehicles for over 40 years. They can't sell direct to the public - but they have more of these vans in stock, and I'll bet they know a vehicle dealer in the area who can handle the transaction for them?

So "Camper Van World" - here we come! And we may do this a little at a time - maybe camp using cots, just to feel how we'd like the thing set up ultimately?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
39 REPLIES 39

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
OK - here's what I'm going to do - Tiny Pic is not uploading photos. I am sort of journaling this on the Ford Transit Forum, under the thread of "An Old Lady And Her Van" - "Gracie Unicorn" is my van's name. The Ford website uploads pictures easily. Don't be afraid to wander around the Transit forum - there are some INCREDIBLE conversions documented there - stuff that would put a factory-built RV to shame!

GracieUnicorn
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the van: (we bought it from Waldoch Crafts, a van upfitter in Minneapolis)

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
OK - you asked 🙂

Hmmm, TinyPic is failing me... but this is the inside a few weeks ago, the "kitchen cabinet" and the insulation. The shiny stuff is either Fat Mat soundproofing, or Reflectix over the Fat Mat
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, picture please(s).
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M,
how is the van project going ? and how about some pictures!
I have built two camper vans around twenty years ago and enjoyed them,
thinking of selling the truck and trailer and do a mid high camper van
like you are doing. We want to go without a lot of get ready time and do away with winterizing so we can go camping in the winter time here in Oregon.
J herb

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
It's here, and it's beautiful!!! The hail damage is weird - it's like the hail was coming at it sideways? There are no dents on the hood or the roof (at least the part of it over the cab that I can see from the ground) - the street side is pristine; but the curb side has numerous tiny pockmarks, plus about 3 dents <1". Falconbrother is right - this is not enough to bug me in the slightest nor hinder my pure joy at the thought of hitting the road on some epic sightseeing journeys.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
My personality is such that I wouldn't let the dimples take the joy away from it. I'd take the rebate and get the paintless dent repair guy to do what he could with it and move on.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Woohoo!#!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my van should arrive Friday they say - "dimple-finish" and all. We have opted for a "rebate" instead of hail-damage repair, which could have taken quite a while. Sounds like I'll be learning a new life skill - paintless dent removal.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years ago my wife and I bought a used van and I converted it to a camper. I have to say, looking back, between the building the van and camping trips it was an awesome time for us. Over the years our rigs have gotten bigger, more complex with more luxury. But, never more fun than the van was.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I only use an awning in the rain. In my last van, I just tued a tarp to the cargo rack. This van came with the awning channel. I think it's kinda nifty :).

It's really nice in the rain, to have a dry place to hang out, put the lawn chairs, and to be able to have the door open without the inside of the door getting wet (which leads to condensation and mold in the rig).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Hey, thanks, I would love some!

Want to trade for 1" nylon spacer tubes, used to hang things in awning rail (hang awning, lights, etc.)? I just bought 100 of them :B

Linky (scroll down).

WOW! What a clever idea! I don't plan on having an awning, but if it was as discrete as a simple "C" channel, I might reconsider 🙂
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, thanks, I would love some!

Want to trade for 1" nylon spacer tubes, used to hang things in awning rail (hang awning, lights, etc.)? I just bought 100 of them :B

Linky (scroll down).

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
I feel ya' on the delays. My new-to-me van shell took a year to get to me, with one thing and another. Now I need to find time to build the interior!

The one good thing, is that the delay has given me time to ponder all sorts of configurations!! There are a TON of people who've done conversion tutorials online - and most of them are easily adaptable to any brand/model. And if you need 1/4"-20 Plusnuts (also called pre-bulbed crossnuts) to anchor things to the sides - let me know. I bought 100 @ 60 cents each and I won't begin to use all those.....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I feel ya' on the delays. My new-to-me van shell took a year to get to me, with one thing and another. Now I need to find time to build the interior!