cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sealing Ladder and Rail Mounting Points

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I've searched through the thousands of "roof seal" posts and have a pretty solid strategy for seams, vents, etc. My issue is with the ladder where it attaches to the roof as well the attachment points of a roof-rail on top of my Allegro. Just about every single screw hole leaks into the interior.

What's the best way to seal the screws and mounting pads for the rail? I see Eternabond sells a caulk. Any other recommendations?
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)
16 REPLIES 16

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
trpwire wrote:
Use screws with thicker threads # 10 (Stainless)

Wally C

Was thinking bigger screws or thicker threads, too. As long as the rot isn't too bad I can get away with that.

When the weather gets warm I'll climb up there. It's back in the teens today so I'm back in hibernation.

trpwire
Explorer
Explorer
Use screws with thicker threads # 10 (Stainless)

Wally C

Gjac wrote:
If you are going to remove and seal underneath make sure you put caulking into the screw holes first and let it set up. Then put caulking on the screw threads before tightening down. I just used the 5200 on a boat it is about $20 a tube and will bond, seal and fill holes at the same. It dries hard and will have to be cut to remove the bond. From reading your post it sounds like the screw holes are enlarged and that is where the water is leaking from. Once you remove it you may find rotted wood underneath that will have to be replaced first.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice. I was seriously considering taking it off and sealing the holes,
that would be the best route to get rid of all the wind vibration that keeps you awake during extremely high winds, if you are troubled by that.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

deaop01
Explorer
Explorer
I had a leak in my ladder on the roof. What I did was take the bolts out and found two of them were rotted out. I moved the mount out of way and drilled the holes out to good wood. Don't go deeper than the screws.

I then used wood dowels and epoxed them in the hole. After they set up ( next day ) I put the mounts back and screwed the old ones down. Drilled the dowels so new screws fit nice and screwed them in.

Used eitherbond tape to cover everything up and self leveling dicor to seal the seems. Three years no leaks.

Hope this helps.

Ron
Betty and Ron
2002 Bounder 31W
8.1 with 5 speed Allison
2 slides
2005 Colorado toad

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
If the wood is rotted the screws will not have anything to bite into to hold the ladder. A simple fix is to get a thin epoxy like water glass, Gitrot or thin your own with acetone and pour it onto the rotted wood and let it cure.

The ladder is actually good - it doesn't appear as if the rot has gotten to it, but it is leaking. There's a couple of mounting points on the rail that are shot, though. I was thinking of filling the holes with something and/or using an adhesive to reinstall it.

I'll look into Gitrot - sounds like it has potential.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
turbojimmy wrote:
Gjac wrote:
If you are going to remove and seal underneath make sure you put caulking into the screw holes first and let it set up. Then put caulking on the screw threads before tightening down. I just used the 5200 on a boat it is about $20 a tube and will bond, seal and fill holes at the same. It dries hard and will have to be cut to remove the bond. From reading your post it sounds like the screw holes are enlarged and that is where the water is leaking from. Once you remove it you may find rotted wood underneath that will have to be replaced first.

Yes, I'm sure there is rotted wood. This is a low-budget resto - just looking for a tail-gating-quality, weekend warrior type rig. My plan is to seal the roof and let it dry out as-is. I've walked every square inch of the roof and it's solid except for some small areas where the rail attaches and where the fridge vent leaked. Interior damage is limited to some water staining inside a couple of cabinets.

I'm going to look for the 5200 stuff at Lowe's.
If the wood is rotted the screws will not have anything to bite into to hold the ladder. A simple fix is to get a thin epoxy like water glass, Gitrot or thin your own with acetone and pour it onto the rotted wood and let it cure.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:

Yes, I'm sure there is rotted wood. This is a low-budget resto - just looking for a tail-gating-quality, weekend warrior type rig. My plan is to seal the roof and let it dry out as-is. I've walked every square inch of the roof and it's solid except for some small areas where the rail attaches and where the fridge vent leaked. Interior damage is limited to some water staining inside a couple of cabinets.

I'm going to look for the 5200 stuff at Lowe's.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the advice. I was seriously considering taking it off and sealing the holes, but I think I want to keep it. It sounds like the best course of action is to remove it, seal under the pads, bolt it back down and seal the bolts.

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Mike M2 wrote:
There is a sealant caulk made by 3M called 5200. It is used to seal fittings under the waterline on boats and is permanent, unlike any other caulk or sealant. I have used it many times and it is the flat out best there is, but expect it to never come apart or leak again. It comes black or white, and also a less permanent version called 4200.

X-2
Best stuff on the market
There's blue = slow setting
Red = fast setting

Lowes and Home Depot care it.
Keep in mind it's meant to be permanent
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
There is a sealant caulk made by 3M called 5200. It is used to seal fittings under the waterline on boats and is permanent, unlike any other caulk or sealant. I have used it many times and it is the flat out best there is, but expect it to never come apart or leak again. It comes black or white, and also a less permanent version called 4200.
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used Geocell and other types of caulking on mine over the years and all have worked well.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issues with ours. You may not like my remedy, but this is what I did. We don't use the roof rail or rack, so I took it off and eternabonded
where all the screw holes were. That fixed it, and I'm pleased with what I did.
Brian

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good luck with Dicor self leveling sealant and also Lexel caulking. Both are pretty tough with good adhesion after they are cured. I would not use a silicone product, the adhesion is very poor and nothing else will stick to silicone.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee