cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SHOCKS

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am in the market for new shocks. How do I know what fits my rv? 1994 36ft HR DP with a Spartan chassis with air bags. I like the sound of Koni shocks not sure where the best price is. Also would the Bilstein shock be just as good?
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad
11 REPLIES 11

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
DSDP Don wrote:
If you read thru years of shock posts on this forum, you'll find a trend. The trend is that the Bilsteins perform better on gassers and the Koni's perform better on DP's.

ON the DP's, the Koni FSD's eliminate a lot of the short chop (TV shaker) that you get on many freeways.

I guess that is why I took my Bilsteins off of my gasser and installed Koni FSD shocks. :R
The real facts are that the Bilsteins are gas charged which means that they have some resistance to even the slightest road joint and that jarring is transferred directly to the steering wheel.
The Koni FSD shocks are NOT gas charged and therefore they dampen out the small bumps and create a smoother ride, no matter what engine is powering the RV.
Both my Bilseins and the Koni shocks preformed well with the large bumps but since I put 15,000-20,000 miles a year on my coach I was interested in making the ride as smooth as possible ALL of the time and the Koni shocks did that for me.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
Call the chassis manufacture and ask them what was on the chassis from the factory.

Glenn,

I would suggest that this will tell you what the chassis maker's bean counters required as a price for shocks, NOT necessarily what the best shock for the chassis is.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Some are going to Road King shocks...a little pricey though.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I got my Koni FSD from Henderson's, they gave me the best deal at the time.
I had Bilsteins on my last DP Motorhome and they were very harsh. The Koni's are smooth and control the coach very well, much better that the OEM Monroe units.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If you read thru years of shock posts on this forum, you'll find a trend. The trend is that the Bilsteins perform better on gassers and the Koni's perform better on DP's.

ON the DP's, the Koni FSD's eliminate a lot of the short chop (TV shaker) that you get on many freeways.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
Call the chassis manufacture and ask them what was on the chassis from the factory.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I found a good price for Bilstein shocks for my RV at Parts Geek.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Koni FSD's work well on most class A's. You can go to the Koni America website and enter your coach info and it will tell you which shocks are best for your coach. Or call Justin at Koni in Kentucky and he will give you the scoop.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Many brands of shocks out there. IMO, one is as good as the other. Here, on the Forum, you will have fans of most of these brands saying their choice is the best. So....choose. I personally have Bilsteins on my coach. From Camping World. They work fine, (some kind of "Lifetime Warranty") but one has to keep in mind these motorhomes are generally top-heavy, so nothing you will buy is perfect.

Prices? Shop around. I don't think there's a big difference anywhere. G'luck!

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Koni and Bilstein are both good shocks. Some people claim that Koni are better, that I do not know. I personally put on the heavy duty Monroe Shocks and am very pleased. Anyplace that you find that sells Koni shocks will be able to sell you the appropriate ones you need. Shop around on the internet till you find the best price, putting them on is really no big deal, just a lot of time on the ground.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity