cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should a Cummins ISL recall campaign scare me from buying?

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a 2007 Newmar with an ISL engine. I called Spartan and Cummins and found that the engine has an open recall (campaign - C0713). The recall is for possible defective piston wrist pin....the recall pretty much just installs an early warning system.

Looks like this recall affects 2005-2007 motorhomes with ISL engines. From what I've read online, it seems the failure rate is around 3% with most saying it will either happen early or not at all. The coach I'm looking at has over 60k miles.

Should I be concerned or just get the coach and have the recall completed?
2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow
18 REPLIES 18

Bruce_Brown
My opinion is if it was going to fail it certainly would have by now.

In 2007 we bought a '08 Newmar with a '06 spec ISL in it. I don't think ours was part of the recall, either way, it's been fine.

I wouldn't worry about it, even a little.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

dgreen1069
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
There hasn't been any postings about wrist pin failure on the boards I read. You know if there was a failure, it would be posted on every rv board there is. It would not bother me to but that coach

There have definitely been a few failures as I found them during my Google search. That said, it seems most were 9-10 years ago.

Reading about any problem on the internet makes it seem 1000x's worse than it might be. It's like Googling, "Chest Pain".......after 5 minutes of reading you will be sure you are dying.

I'm hoping the higher mileage of this coach means it is in the clear. I'm also hopeful that if something catastrophic did happen, Cummins would step up to cover the damage.
2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Buy with the price discounted at the cost of a used replacement engine.

The wrist pin issue hasn't been a problem very, few engine have a failure.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
There hasn't been any postings about wrist pin failure on the boards I read. You know if there was a failure, it would be posted on every rv board there is. It would not bother me to but that coach