cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Side mounted cameras

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed side mounted cameras on their coach? What kind of problems did you run into?
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€
10 REPLIES 10

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cameras are mounted to the lower panel that backs into the engine compartment. So mounting then wouldnโ€™t be an issue. Then run the wiring up through an access plug, there are plenty. Shouldnโ€™t be to hard if youโ€™re handy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put them on the front portion of the motor home just for that particular blind spot on the passenger side of the RV. I still use mirrors and rear view but when you merge onto another roadway that dumps you into the fast lines, getting over simply by turning a turn signal on, just doesn't give me confidence.

I booked it up so they are always on monitoring what's there...the driver side one I could probably do without but what the heck. I love em! ????
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"wny_pat"...... I find the side cameras to be a pain. I change lanes by watching my toad in the rear view camera. As soon as I see it clear the vehicle I want to pass, I come over. The side cameras on both my current and previous coach give you a distorted view of what's alongside you. In a 35' to 40' coach, trying to determine what's beside you, 40' away is impossible. I only turn on my turn signals, momentarily, to let someone know I'm coming over and then turn them off.

With that said, if you're installing them just to see if something is alongside you, they might be useful, but will still be tough to determine distances in a small camera. If you install the cameras, DO NOT integrate them into the turn signals, as you'll lose your rear camera ability to change lanes.

I won't disconnect systems already in place, but I could do without the side view cameras. Much clearer to look in the mirrors.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach came with side cameras. We don't use them....in the habit of using side mirrors on our regular vehicles so we do the same thing in the MH. We have triple lenses which is nice.
2014 American Eagle

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used the Voyager system from RV cams and it was actually an easy installation that I did in about 2 hours. I changed my monitor at the same time. The whole system with a tilting rear camera was about $800 including the adapters to use my existing wiring from the rear camera.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had planned on it but.. things happend and now I'm moving into an apartment.

The system I was looking at is the RV-360 system.. Google it.. They do the install. Bout a kilobuck as I understand but I think worth it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed mine on a Workhorse W chassis so I had all of the space I needed to run the wires under the hood to each side and tie in to the monitor and turn signal wires. They came on with the turn signals and off when they signal cancelled. I mounted them as far forward as I could and about 5' above the ground.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did have to remove a side panel inside but after that routing to monitor location wasn't too bad. If you put your monitor on the dash, it should go fairly easy. I ran mine via the top side entertainment area so I could bring the wiring down to the monitor hanging from the ceiling.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Wondered about actual problems in mounting the cameras on the side of the coach. Like tearing into the inside paneling and upholstery.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a couple. I used the wired ones since it was fairly easy to route the wire. I found them on Amazon and then found a monitor to match the camera connections. I didn't bother with booking them via the turn signals. My monitor has a split screen and displays left and right whenever I turn them on. Works well????
96 Vogue Prima Vista