cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out awning cover

Stude55Dog
Explorer
Explorer
I have awning cover on my 05 HR DP and it has stopped retracting when slid in. Before I climb up and look, anyone got experience with this kind of issue. Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I always thought it was a pretty poor design. When you lower the arms to act as a window awning, the fabric lays right on top of the edge of the slide which subjects it to abrasion if there is any wind at all. Most of the time I did not lower the arms and just left them locked in the upright position.

One of the reasons they dropped it. First they had a manual lock for transit, then a auto lock for transit and the fabric would get worn from the top slide flange. Too many design flaws. Doug

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always thought it was a pretty poor design. When you lower the arms to act as a window awning, the fabric lays right on top of the edge of the slide which subjects it to abrasion if there is any wind at all. Most of the time I did not lower the arms and just left them locked in the upright position.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I got my awning spring off eBay but I got new fabric made by a local boat cover shop. They were able to duplicate my existing fabric and everything for around $150. They reused the plastic tube that goes in the cover to lock it into the aluminum portion of the cover. Luckily my awning arms were OK.

What usually happens--- the spring locks or the customer forgets to unlock the awning and when the slide goes out, it destroys the arms and bends the metal slide flanges. Doug

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got my awning spring off eBay but I got new fabric made by a local boat cover shop. They were able to duplicate my existing fabric and everything for around $150. They reused the plastic tube that goes in the cover to lock it into the aluminum portion of the cover. Luckily my awning arms were OK.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rgatijnet1 wrote:
My 2003 Monaco used the OmegaII slideout awning, which also pulled down over the window. If you also have the Carefree awning, springs are still available from Carefree, or on eBay. I found eBay was less expensive than Carefree.
Carefree awning

Sorry, I was thinking Fabric and the Arms. Most of the time, customers bring it in because they have destroyed the arms(bent them) and the fabric and arms no longer available from Carefree. You can have a custom fabric made. But, by the time you replace the spring and the custom longer fabric, it would be easier to replace the Slide cover and then install a window awning

MrWizard
the 1995 safari OEM carefree awnings, bought new springs on ebay

parts for various models are still available

get model number from your books, and look on ebay
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 2003 Monaco used the OmegaII slideout awning, which also pulled down over the window. If you also have the Carefree awning, springs are still available from Carefree, or on eBay. I found eBay was less expensive than Carefree.
Carefree awning

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You do not state what brand but Monaco used Carefree and IF you have the combo Slide cover and window awning(which Monaco used back then)---NO parts are available. You will have to remove the awning, patch the arm mount holes and install a new style Slide topper. ? if this is what the arms look like you have the discontinued awning and parts

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Replace the broken spring. If it is original, it may be a good time to replace the fabric at the same time.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stude55Dog wrote:
I have awning cover on my 05 HR DP and it has stopped retracting when slid in. Before I climb up and look, anyone got experience with this kind of issue. Thanks

Most likely a broken spring or the spring has lost it's tension.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain