cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide out topper replacement

Harveyj
Explorer
Explorer
Our two 82" slide out awnings were really showing their age. I ordered new sets from Tough Top Awnings (great service) and, yesterday, the DW and I set about to install them.
Following the directions supplied with the material, the job went really well. It also gave me a chance to thoroughly clean the seals and slide out roof.
The most difficult part was unwinding the roller tubes against the torsion springs and pinning them in place...the springs were really strong.
Feels good to finally get that job done.
6 REPLIES 6

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suspect that both ways would work fine. One way requires more pressure to unroll and lock and probably requires two people to re install the fabric. The other way can be done by one person but requires removing the roller.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Harveyj
Explorer
Explorer
The bedroom slide was right at three turns while the LR slide was a bit more than 2. LR slide extends 6" more. A & E probably used the same width material.
I also had to relocate the anti billowing device(s).

ronfisherman
That makes sense. Did mine similar. Just not the 3 turns.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Harveyj
Explorer
Explorer
The video by RV Geeks and the instructions that came with the fabric both showed this method. Open slide, unroll fabric from roller tube (about 3 turns) and pin in place. Remove screws from RV channel and slide old fabric out. Install in reverse order. It took about 20 minutes/slide.

ronfisherman
bdpreece wrote:
Not sure why you had to unwind the roller tubes under tension. Pinned mine in place closed; then removed the roller. Unrolled from roller and removed topper from roller and roof channels. Installed in reverse order. Did all four of mine in about two hours by myself.

Mine went similar to yours.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure why you had to unwind the roller tubes under tension. Pinned mine in place closed; then removed the roller. Unrolled from roller and removed topper from roller and roof channels. Installed in reverse order. Did all four of mine in about two hours by myself.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad