cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slideout not fully extending

HavingProblems7
Explorer
Explorer
Recently tried to extend slideout & heard a loud sound & slideout stopped extending
Realized MH not level
Moved MH Slideout worked great
installed lamp on slideout wall & now slideout only extends about one half of way out & stops
Made sure MH was level & no obvious obstructions
Applied lubricate but still no luck
Is there a limit switch on motor & when MH was not level & I tried to move slideout is it possile I may have changed the limits on the switch
Looks like an easy fix but have no clue where to begin
Any suggestions will be appreicated
Thanks
2006 Fleetwood Jamboree 23e class C
6 REPLIES 6

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My bedroom slide on my 09 Cambria would do the same thing but after a minute would slide out some more. Resistance was causing the motor to shut off on an internal protector (my guess) and once cool would activate again. I removed the bedroom pedestal and cleaned the slide as it was gummed up with sticky lubricant and dust. Once clean again it worked fine. I have had to do this a few other times, my guess is because I camp in dusty conditions in the desert and it manages to get in there. I even use non oily lubricants and those designated for slides.
Even though the slides appeared to be clean ,they were not. A stiff brush and some time solved the issue.

HavingProblems7
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate all or your responses
Gear & gear track appear to be fine
I say this based mainly on the fact I am able to unlock brake on slideout motor an if I Use a 12 inch long adjustable wrench I able to turn the 1 inch tubing that connects to slideout motor & extend slideout all the way
Am I correct in thinking if I'm able to move slideout completely then gears & gear track must be OK ?????

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Here's a pic of the rack and pinion system on my main slide.
The gear in the middle is the pinion gear that sometimes breaks. You can see the nut end of the shear bolt to the left of the gear.
Make sure the gear is in one piece and not cracked and spread apart.
Check the bolt to make sure both the head and the nut are present.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
DrewE wrote:
ScottG wrote:
What kind of mechanism; Hydraulic, rack and pinion, early Schwintek?

I'm thinking the chances are it's a R&P and you either broke a shear bolt or a pinion gear. Neither is a big deal to repair. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since it makes it halfway before stopping, I rather doubt it's a shear bolt or pinion gear.

It's quite possible there are limit switches (though it's also possible, speaking generally, that there are none). I can't imagine a reasonably designed mechanism where getting stuck in mid-travel would cause a limit switch to get that far out of alignment. I also recognize that there are plenty of strange flawed designs that have been made.

My guess, and it's nothing more than a guess, is that there's some binding or blockage or broken bit that's impeding progress. If it's a rack and pinion sort of system, maybe the rack has a broken tooth or two in the middle?

When it stops, does the motor continue to turn (hum quietly), or does it also stop? Does the power to the motor cut off, or is the motor stalled, if it stops? The latter I think you could probably discern by watching the brightness of a light turned on while operating the slide, if you have no better way (such as an ammeter or similar).

When I broke a shear bolt, it broke the head off and the end with the nut stayed in place. That allowed the gear to slip slightly on that end. That in turn caused one end of the slide to go out more than the other and basically jamb on the way out.
My buddy's brand new Arctic Fox broke a gear and acted similarly. In both cases a loud bang was heard just like the OP describes.
So yes, it's a plausible situation.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:

I'm thinking the chances are it's a R&P and you either broke a shear bolt or a pinion gear. Neither is a big deal to repair. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since it makes it halfway before stopping, I rather doubt it's a shear bolt or pinion gear.

It's quite possible there are limit switches (though it's also possible, speaking generally, that there are none). I can't imagine a reasonably designed mechanism where getting stuck in mid-travel would cause a limit switch to get that far out of alignment. I also recognize that there are plenty of strange flawed designs that have been made.

My guess, and it's nothing more than a guess, is that there's some binding or blockage or broken bit that's impeding progress. If it's a rack and pinion sort of system, maybe the rack has a broken tooth or two in the middle?

When it stops, does the motor continue to turn (hum quietly), or does it also stop? Does the power to the motor cut off, or is the motor stalled, if it stops? The latter I think you could probably discern by watching the brightness of a light turned on while operating the slide, if you have no better way (such as an ammeter or similar).

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad