cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smaller Drivers seat

TMJ1624
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 Holiday Rambler on a 450 Ford chassis, problem is me, I’m a big guy and can’t move it far enough back to comfortably relax to drive it. Question: can a different seat be put in......
21 REPLIES 21

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
The slide out interfering with the travel of the front seats is a common complaint with many motor home manufactures.

When internet shopping, an easy visual indicator is to note the transition wall coming straight out sideways, then the slide out being right up close to that wall. Here is one example.

To avoid the condition, seek a motor home with an angled transition wall that is more aerodynamic. It places the slide out significantly farther behind the driver seat as seen here.

TMJ1642,
If your issue is serious enough, seek out a driver seat with a thin backrest. They may be marketed as "Sport Seats". Most RV seats have exceptionally plush back rests which reduce travel to an already tight condition. A thin backrest may increase seat travel by as much as 4" depending on how plush your current back rest is.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
If it's up against the wall, there isn't much you can do.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
romore wrote:
That is my biggest beef with that style of vehicle.

A very easy way to get around this type of problem is to buy one on a Chevy Chassis :B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is my biggest beef with that style of vehicle.

TMJ1624
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it hits the wall between slide out and drivers seat......

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Without knowing the exact model, you are either hitting the step-up preventing it from moving any further back or the furniture is preventing the back from reclining. Which is it as the fix is different.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes you can re-drill the seat on its base.
Sometimes the base can be moved as long as you have room behind the seat.
If you're near an auto body shop, inquire to see what they can fabricate. It might not cost too much to do and they would be able to see where they can drill if need be.