cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar Questions

Bednarski1
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about having a 160 watt solar panel installed on my Sunseeker. Other then keeping my batteries fully charged what other advantages will I have gain from having this installed. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a great thread on this topic.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2009 Honda CRV (mini toad)
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 (monster toad)
FMCA #F413428

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
Our situation.

We have a 80W solar panel flat on the roof of our Class C. Two 6V golf cart batteries and no generator.

All out camping to date has been in BC and AB, so not hot humid places. 80% of our coming is without hook-ups.

We do not use the microwave or an electric coffee maker. We only worry about AC in the South Okanogan and make sure we have electric hook ups then.

We have not switched out our light bulbs, we probably will as the current bulbs burn out.

We have easily gone 5 days in one place without hook-ups, without issue.

We do find that the solar is not as effective when we are North of Calgary. Probably would be better to have a panel that we can face to the sun that far North. On Vancouver Island and in Southern BC it is not an issue.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Curt and Marie wrote:
OK guess I screwed up, I am just a dumb retired GI "hijacking" breaking etiquette in the forum. HOAAH!!!
Not a big worry. When you have chosen your equipment list start a new thread to get comments before you spend money.

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
OK guess I screwed up, I am just a dumb retired GI "hijacking" breaking etiquette in the forum. HOAAH!!!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You will have power to spare as long as you don't try and run high usage gear, like a microwave or A/C. If you can go to making your coffee on the stove-top, you will be way ahead too. The biggest consumer outside of the aforementioned is the furnace fan. You may even have two furnaces. That fan motor is a thirsty critter. The only solution there is to not plan on leaving your furnace on over-night. Use blankets to be warm, otherwise...you'll wake up with no juice.

There is a good thread running on Inverters on this same C Forum, you might wish to find and read. Makes a good case for 12v gear and small inverters to charge the cel, computer, camera batteries.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curt and Marie wrote:
Anyhow, I have $1000 to invest in the solar before we leave is there laymen talk on this? seriously
Glad you got an answer, but you may want to keep the 'hijacking' to a minimum.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I think I will get started ordering

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Curt and Marie wrote:
BOTTOM LINE: I have room on my roof for at least 4 panels. If I install 4 100W panels and two more deep cycle 6 Volt batteries wire it all up to indoor charging indicator and a true sine inverter maybe 2000 watt? It seems like we can learn to live with the results. I am bracing for the attack of the teckees because my casual throwing together of data I just dreamed up is no doubt way to simplistic. Please understand that I am overloaded with data and if you know anything about the brain sensory flooding will make sense. Anyhow, I have $1000 to invest in the solar before we leave is there laymen talk on this? seriously

Actually it is that simple. Many have done it and $1,000 self install will get you nice solar set up but the inverter and 2x Trojans may put you over.

Layman talk here:
Forum Members Solar Installations With Pics

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
OK I have a question We are preparing to go full time in June. My class A is 34 feet and has two 6v coach batteries and a 12 volt chassis battery, I get how they work, recharge and purpose for each. We are looking forward to boon docking when we can and I know that takes power. Its to easier to ask then to answer, "how much solar will we need?" I am trying to cut back on our draw now by installing interior LED lights and other than that I don't think looking at our S&B electric bill (as some have suggested) is an accurate way to gauge.
BOTTOM LINE: I have room on my roof for at least 4 panels. If I install 4 100W panels and two more deep cycle 6 Volt batteries wire it all up to indoor charging indicator and a true sine inverter maybe 2000 watt? It seems like we can learn to live with the results. I am bracing for the attack of the teckees because my casual throwing together of data I just dreamed up is no doubt way to simplistic. Please understand that I am overloaded with data and if you know anything about the brain sensory flooding will make sense. Anyhow, I have $1000 to invest in the solar before we leave is there laymen talk on this? seriously

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
An RV'r needs power. Yes, you can go for maybe two days with your standard two battery bank, but after that, you need an infusion of juice. It's one of three ways. Plug-in, generator or solar. Those that go for solar are usually boondocking types. Meaning we/they don't use campgrounds (or cg's without hook-ups) and prefer solar over generators.

There is no cheap ride on this stuff. Solar will cost you, as will a generator or you are limited to your camping spots. The more installation/wiring work you can do yourself the more you don't spend.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Battery will probably seem to gain capacity.

No need to plug in and charge during storage or before a trip.

Also consider a Trik-L-Start combiner to also keep the chassis battery tip top charged.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The battery bank will have about double the lifespan.

During most of the day any parasitic loads will be supplied by the panel rather than the battery bank.

Boondocking time line will be extended.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.