cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Space behind couch-too much

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
Removed couch from 1997 Bounder to install carpeting. When I went to remove it, I noticed the forward bolt behind the driver seat was in front of the couch frame, just sticking up. The other side behind the dinette was only secured with one bolt in the rear. After carpeting and upon reinstall, I see why one of the prior owners did that. It appears that there is too much space behind the couch and by the holes in the wall it looks like some trim piece or something is missing. The two bolts behind the driver seat are permanently attached as they are not reachable or seen below. The other side bolts are in one of the compartments and could essentially be moved back. Does anyone know what was in those holes behind the couch? Should I leave it where it is (from factory) or move it to where prior owner had it? It also looks kinda squishy with the driver seat right there with the couch further forward. Any idea on a trim piece or something for the rear that will not interfere with making it into a bed?

1997 Fleetwood Bounder
2008 Harley FLHTCUI anniversary edition
19 REPLIES 19

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
What I took out of my '94 Bounder measured 1 & 1/4". If they changed, they must have changed to 1 & 1/4" sometime in the early '90's. Which makes sense since the 1 & 1/4" stuff is just right. Though I think either size would work fine.

It would be great if those folks finding T-moulding online and posting links here, could find a place that sells it in 25' rolls, instead of 250' rolls. Most of us don't need all that much.

I have replaced all my moulding (but that company seems to be closed now) and don't need to know...but I bet lurkers might benefit.

BTW, when I decided to replace my old cracked and broken off moulding, I could only find it at RV dealers, at $6/ft. One place asked $11/ft. Just think of it, asking $150 for what cost me $25. All it took to install was a sharp pair of scissors, a knife, and a rubber mallet.

Thanks!
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
West & Barker Inc. was the original supplier for that 1 1/8" t-molding used in the Bounder back in the 90's.

http://www.westandbarker.com/82004.pdf
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some wood grain molding. Molding
1997 Fleetwood Bounder

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a bunch. Looks like an L bracket which is then hidden by a wedge of wood. I can duplicate that.
1997 Fleetwood Bounder

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you get the trim. Mine is shot too, and burgundy looks great.

I just went to Amazon to look up my order details (ordered in '14) and it seems that Amazon stopped carrying the moulding. All it shows is my order, but no info on the company, no substitute part number. A quick search of Amazon doesn't show anything close that might work either.

Called "Plastic T-moulding". It was made by a company in or near Eugene, Oregon, came on a 25' roll and was 1&1/4" wide. The width is what Fleetwood originally used. It's wide enough that there's a small overhang on the top that helps keep small items on the shelf as you drive. The 25' roll was just enough to do all the moulding in the RV with around 18" left over. Cost was $25.73 (including shipping), so around a dollar a foot.

Can't find info on that company so you'll have find a source on your own. If I do run into that info, I'll come back and post it here. They have (had?) a web site but I can't find that either, now. The big problem of finding it online is finding a company that will sell just 25' of the trim. Most have a minimum order of 250'!

Anyway, back to the shelf, here's a picture of the underside of the shelf. You can see the brackets are wood. At least on the shelf under the LR window. Some other shorter shelves are simple 'L' brackets. But, the reason is that with the other shelves, you're not in bed gazing up at them like you are with the J-couch shelf.

The screw is part of my modifications. I cut out sections of the moulding on the backside to make it easier to go around corners. Then I added a screw after a sharp bend. Probably unnecessary as the barbed part of the moulding really held fast.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
davhlt wrote:

My trim was shot too. I found wood grain trim at Walt's RV.
The vinyl was shrinking and pulling loose. I replaced it with high quality shelf liner, also wood grain. Rather than mess with the original shelf material, I made new shelves from 1x4 pine.

Richard
95 Bounder
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
Are they simple angle brackets that hold up the shelf?
1997 Fleetwood Bounder

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the pics. I will see what I can drum up to build
1997 Fleetwood Bounder

davhlt
Explorer
Explorer

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
As promised, here are the pictures of the shelf. This is original EXCEPT the vinyl edging. I replaced that last year because the OEM vinyl edging was all cracked and broken. Couldn't find the OEM 'cream' color at a reasonable price so went with burgundy at $25/25 foot roll:

And here's a photo of the shelf when the couch is down:

And a shot of the dinette end of the shelf:

The shelf is 4 & 1/4" wide, and 75 & 1/2" long.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a book shelf unit there that could only be gotten too when the back of the couch was moved forward. Holds two rows of books or DVD's or the like. The top shelf has cup holders in it too.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I'll put up a couple pics for you tomorrow, BVail. Not feeling too well at the moment.

The shelf doesn't 'do' anything. Just sits there.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Winnebago Journey, '02

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Jim has it right. My 95 Bounder had a shelf mounted 2" below the window. I moved the shelf up tight against the window frame and was able to move the couch back 2" closer to the wall and it still missed the wall when made into a bed. Made a big difference in my 8' coach with no slides.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

bvail
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Your decor is the same as mine. The J-couch and captains chairs use the same fabric as my Bounder. And I am pretty sure that what's missing is a long shelf that suppose to be under the window.

What goes there is a handy shelf that runs from the dinette up to just behind the driver. Gives you a nice place to put your coffee as you gaze out the window at a rain storm.

The shelf is 3/4" thick particle board with a slot for a vinyl trim piece that when installed extends a little above the edge of the shelf, to keep things from falling off the shelf. Mine also has a thin vinyl cover that's glued on top of the shelf. The shelf is around 3-4" wide and 12' long.

Those holes are where the right angle bracket that holds up that shelf are attached.

Awesome. I figured something was missing as I put the couch in the original position. What does the shelf do when the couch folds out? Would you be so kind as to take pics of the shelf with couch up and couch down? I'd really appreciate it as I may try and make something similar.
1997 Fleetwood Bounder