cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare tire size

kbunning
Explorer
Explorer
2018 MB Sprinter/WB Revel - running upgraded 245/76/R17 wheels/tires, but my spare is 245/76/R16. Will I be ok if I have to drive a short distance using this spare? We are headed to Alaska and plan to drive somewhat remote, gravel roads. I would just use the spare to get us to a tire shop.
3 REPLIES 3

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
kbunning wrote:
2018 MB Sprinter/WB Revel - running upgraded 245/76/R17 wheels/tires, but my spare is 245/76/R16. Will I be ok if I have to drive a short distance using this spare? We are headed to Alaska and plan to drive somewhat remote, gravel roads. I would just use the spare to get us to a tire shop.
Contrary to most I would go as is. Next time a tire is purchased get the spare replaced.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that. If I were to do it again, I would carry a full sized spare that matches the others on the vehicle and also a GOOD tire plug kit. Don't get the cheapies that are for temporary use. Wish I could remember the name of the one I bought but mine has a metal tip for insertion, does not require any vulcanizing material and is considered a permanent fix. If you're not comfortable that it is a permanent repair, it will at least get you a very long distance to a repair shop. Oh also, get a good 12v compressor to air your tires back up. One the best is sold by Viair. Plugging the tire allows you to do a quick and easy repair without having to remove the flat tire and mount the spare.

When we were in Alaska, there were places out in the sticks that you wouldn't want to be in the process of changing a tire and have some critter pay you a visit.Good luck have fun!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Find out what the mfg says about 1 different sized tire on a 4x4. It is a 4x4 correct?

First and foremost there are many Alaska trip areas where there is no tire related shop for many miles, think hundreds. This can/does also include most of Canada. Plus when you get they may not have your size and getting one could take days.

My advice is be prepared. Take one full sized mounted tire and consider a unmounted spare for extra caution. And note that even the same sized tire may not have the same diameter due to wear or other differences due to brands so that could be a consideration for longer distances.

Our round trip mileage was 9600 miles.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob