cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprinter Chassis Opinions

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Life changes and requirements change and this week we are going to see a Winnebago Era 70A. After spending months at a time on the road in a 36 foot with slide and amenities, we are looking for something to get us "from here to there" (but with amenities 🙂 ). We travel with 2 dogs and a cat and my DW is a celiac, so motels and restaurants just don't work.

I handled much of the service on my previous coaches and had places to do the "heavy lifting". How are Sprinters? Is chassis service easy to obtain? Also, I saw on a video that there is some fluid to be refilled every 10K miles for the emissions. I admit I haven't researched this yet, but is this a bit deal or simply keeping a gallon of something handy to top up the tank when checking fluids.

Thanks for any info,
Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36
22 REPLIES 22

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you buy the mercedes diesel, be sure to have a full wallet if something goes wrong.
bumpy

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
you,ll get much better answers if you will go to a sprinter forum, we love ours.
maybe, but after 15 years on this forum I've come to respect the responses.

I do appreciate that you are a happy owner.

Dave

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
newBera, that is too funny. The salesman said "I think you need the X with the extra seats removed"... and then we saw the small fridge! Thanks for the info on the DEF.

Dave

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
you,ll get much better answers if you will go to a sprinter forum, we love ours.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
hpdriver do you have a url for that information?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Bad information. Mercedes announced they would be ending the sale of diesel autos but Sprinters would still be sold with a diesel. Mercedes is revealing a new generation Sprinter in Europe next month .
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

newBera
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 2013 70A not long after I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. One of the factors in the purchase was the relatively large refrigerator. My wife wanted the extra storage under the beds. I love driving the Sprinter. My first RV was a gasoline powered 32' Class A and I hated driving it. Of course I had to tow. I love the diesel engine in the Sprinter, the way it doesn't slow on hills. We don't have to tow but I can. My only problem with the Sprinter are the constant rumors on sites like this that talk about dash lights coming on, having to replace this engine part, etc. I just get the service performed regularly and, for the most part, haven't had much trouble. (I have had to replace a few cheap Winnebago coach parts.) It is not a problem to add the DEF fluid. I just add it either when it asks for it or whenever I arrive home. No problem.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sprinter diesel no longer sold in North America. I would eliminate it from your search.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.