cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprinter Conversion Planning - MTB/Camping Build

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
So I am planning within the next year to purchase a Dodge sprinter and build an RV conversion to be used for mountain biking and camping trips. Would be hauling 1-4 people (in their 20s so elaborate sleeping condition is not important). 1-2 dogs and 3-4 bikes in addition to other outdoor gear. Not looking for an elaborate setup, just functional. My main concern is for gas mileage. I am skilled in mechanical/electrical work much more than carpentry.

First things first, which is the best sprinter model in terms of wheel base and engine. Is there one model/year that has better gas mileage then the next? Does wheelbase effect mpg?

I realize I want the high roof model, just unsure of body/wheel length and year of model.

Thanks in advance
2003 VW Rialta
10 REPLIES 10

rockymtnb
Explorer
Explorer
alexk243 wrote:
I heard there was a High Cab and Super High Cab option on the 158s, is that accurate?

No, to the best of my knowledge the T1N 158 was sold only with the SHC (Super High Cab) roof in the US. The 140 and 118 (rare) models were available with a choice roof height.

Be aware that HC and SHC were old Daimler Chrysler marketing designations. HC High Cab because it was taller than traditional American work vans, and SHC Super High Cab because it was even taller for full standing height. Most everyone else calls the HC model 'Low Roof' and SHC the 'High Roof' Sprinter.

And just to confuse things further after Mercedes took Sprinter marketing back from Chrysler and discontinued the HC/SHC terminology they offered a translucent fiberglass Super High Roof option for package delivery firms like FedEx. The Super High Roof units are rare and don't have structural support for roof racks, solar panels and similar RV conversion features.

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
I heard there was a High Cab and Super High Cab option on the 158s, is that accurate?
2003 VW Rialta

rockymtnb
Explorer
Explorer
alexk243 wrote:
Yeah I think the 158 is the best model for me. Are there different cab lengths to that wheelbase?

No, all the 158 wheelbase Sprinters had the same 263" external length and were available only in the high roof version. So any 158 T1N Sprinter should meet your size requirements.

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I think the 158 is the best model for me. Are there different cab lengths to that wheelbase?
2003 VW Rialta

rockymtnb
Explorer
Explorer
The only Sprinters within the price range you mention would be the 2002-2006 T1N models. All such US models had the Inline-5 Turbo Diesel engine and 5 speed automatic transmission. Fuel mileage between 20-25 mpg can be expected and varies due to speed and city/hwy driving conditions. Fuel mileage differences between the shorter 140" wheelbase and longer 158" wheelbase model will be minor, perhaps one MPG or so.

We have the 140" 2006 high top, but given the number of people, dogs and bikes you're looking to carry the longer 158" is probably needed.

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
Also gas is $2 a gallon now, that will not always be the case and I plan to keep this vehicle for a while.
2003 VW Rialta

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
The reason gas millage matters to me is that in order for me to use it then it would have to get better gas millage than my car, or else I would just take my car on these road trips. I am looking for a budget sprinter build. I am in my twenties and cannot afford one of the luxury ones. MPG is important for me between different sprinter models.

Under 20 MPG means I am taking my car. So between Sprinter models is there one that gets better gas millage? Does the wheelbase effect MPG? Length?
2003 VW Rialta

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP; You've mentioned gas mileage 4 times in your posts which seems to be your main requirement. In all honesty, this should be one of your lowest priorities; Gas is around $2.00/gallon (roughly), so the difference between 15mpg and 20mpg is not going to "break the bank". I would re-assess you priorities, get the best van for your other requirements first. You will regret getting the wrong van which does not fit your other requirements but get great mpg.

I have a Chevy350 van which get 17mpg unloaded and 10 mpg towing a 27ft camper. Do i care that it "only" get 10mpg towing? NO. Because it tows like a dream and I can fit all my toys in the back.

Take a look at the domestic full-size vans with a High-Top conversion. I've had 3 Chevys and 1 Dodge with the hi-top - you can get good ones in your price range.

My next van may be the Transit but at the moment they are outside you price.
Gerry

alexk243
Explorer
Explorer
Do those hit the gas millage the diesel sprinters can?

Also keep in mind my budget for the vehicle (pre-build) is $10k or so, which is very doable with older sprinters, but not sure about a ford van.
2003 VW Rialta

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to consider a new Ford Transit Van, with the Eco Boost engine. Much better in the mountains, less expensive, both price, and maintenance. Also, many more service dealers.