cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

STACKER TRAILER

Greg1
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering who all has or used a stacker trailer pros cons good bad i have a 06 essex 45 ft i am looking at a 22-24 ft no plan to haul 2 cars just a jeep ect and bike fire wood golf cart ect would this be too much for my rig ?? thanks much
16 REPLIES 16

sohail197458
Explorer
Explorer
The Trailer has more resell value at any time.
www.mountainwesttrailer.com

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
If I had the DP to haul a stacker I wouldn't hesitate but I don't, come to think of it I can't afford one either. Two of my neighbors use stackers to haul all there sand toys and they love them. The two things they all ways recommend when asked is a trailer toad and to have a camera on the back of the stacker. I have to admit that the trailer toad is pretty neat. One has a pretty tight spot to slide the trailer through a with the toad taking the tounge weight he does it with a little S-10 pickup.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Greg1 wrote:
Fla Tom wrote:
Greg1 wrote:
how about a sway control any need for it ??
so far no need even had moderate crosswinds on our last trip, it towed like a dream

I do not know but have been told no need for a WD hitch on a motorhome ??? any advice

Debates on both sides of the fence here. I know many who do not use a weight distributing hitch and a lot that do. Personally, I run one and have all all three of my coaches as it definately spreads the load out. With a tag axle coach it is even less necessary than a single axle coach but I still feel a benefit from it.

T&E Race trailers when I was looking several years ago, recommended a WD setup on tandem axle trailers and said they were less necessary on triple axle trailers. That makes perfect sense. Monaco on the other hand said they will definately help but on a tag axle coach it is neglible and probably not worth spending the money on.

There are a couple of aluminum trailer manufacturers that specifically state DO NOT use WD hitches but that is due to trailer issues not coach issues. There are also a few threads on various RV forums showing some aluminum trailer tongue failures due to the forces exerted on the tongue when a WD hitch is utilized.

For a single rear axle coach that is already on the verge of being overloaded I would recomment a product called Trailer Toad. There is also another one similar in theory but a different design called Tuff Tow. It supports the actual tongue weight and does not impose that weight onto the rear of the coach. We see them used quite a lot among the race crowds.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
sprintmod1 wrote:
We have pulled a 28' stacker trailer weighing about 14,000lbs a few times the last 3 years. Used for hauling additional race cars and equipment to Florida for SpeedWeeks with our 03 Tradition.

If you look at all aluminum stacker trailers, three of the best are Featherlite's, ATC or my favorite, GoldRush. The weight of the trailers have been around 4500 to 5000lbs plus whatever you are hauling. They are not cheap, but the tow fantastic and they hold their re-sale value well.

One way to keep the weight down on the trailer is to skip the steel internal lifts some manufactures use. I would go with the automatic lift gates (your rear trailer door) and haul the bikes and golf carts in the overhead and your vehicle down below.

We beefed up the hitch area, make sure we are using the weight distributing equipment and have not had any issues. When properly loaded, almost did not know that trailer was back there fully loaded except for the 1mpg drop in fuel milage.

Good trailer manufacturer recommendations there. If I could add one more to check out is T&E Race trailers. That is the one we really wanted. The quality and overall fit & finish is fantastic, just way, way out of our budget at the time. The Haulmark Edge was the closest I could come across in our budget with anywhere near the quality and options.

Mike.

Greg1
Explorer
Explorer
Fla Tom wrote:
Greg1 wrote:
so far no need even had moderate crosswinds on our last trip, it towed like a dream

I do not know but have been told no need for a WD hitch on a motorhome ??? any advice

Greg1
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Don't haul firewood to another state. It's illegal.

thanks for all the info and did not know about fire wood !!

sprintmod1
Explorer
Explorer
We have pulled a 28' stacker trailer weighing about 14,000lbs a few times the last 3 years. Used for hauling additional race cars and equipment to Florida for SpeedWeeks with our 03 Tradition.

If you look at all aluminum stacker trailers, three of the best are Featherlite's, ATC or my favorite, GoldRush. The weight of the trailers have been around 4500 to 5000lbs plus whatever you are hauling. They are not cheap, but the tow fantastic and they hold their re-sale value well.

One way to keep the weight down on the trailer is to skip the steel internal lifts some manufactures use. I would go with the automatic lift gates (your rear trailer door) and haul the bikes and golf carts in the overhead and your vehicle down below.

We beefed up the hitch area, make sure we are using the weight distributing equipment and have not had any issues. When properly loaded, almost did not know that trailer was back there fully loaded except for the 1mpg drop in fuel milage.
2010 American Coach Revolution 42w; carrying 2014 HD Electra Glide Limited and towing 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD.
Dirt's for racing and asphalt for getting there.
410 Sprint Car's rule!

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Don't haul firewood to another state. It's illegal.

Fla_Tom1
Explorer
Explorer
Greg1 wrote:

Macktee
Explorer
Explorer
We haul a 28ft overall cargo trailer. We bought a new Hyundai Elantra GT for running around and also a golf cart with a cover. (2010 Club Car) then we put the bikes and all the the mechanic supplies etc. I run this up and down the roads with no problem and no sway problems our WD hitching. Macktee
04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
Just get a 28' v-nose with a rear ramp and a side ramp at front for golf cart. $10,000+-.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

H345
Explorer
Explorer

Stackers ( loaded ) are heavy ! What is the hitch capacity and tongue weight for you rig ?

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
Fla Tom wrote:
We just sold our jeep and bought a shelby gt 500, so we bought a stacker to take the shelby and golf cart with us( we still have the gmc to tow 4 down). On our first trip we did not know the trailer was behind us except for getting 1mpg less. one note if your golf cart has a top it will be to tall to stack on the lift with anything bellow. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have gone with a regular enclosed trailer with 8' inside height it would have been less $$ and weight

I don't use a golf cart but my Jeep is lifted. When we decided on just getting a standard enclosed trailer I had extra height added to ours when I special ordered it. That is one thing I am glad I did.

Mike.

Greg1
Explorer
Explorer