cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steering Stabilizer

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
I have 70K on the OEM stabilizer. It's probably shot. How hard is it to replace it? It looks like a shock. I see there is the Safe-T plus steering stabilizer available. Will the Bilstein stabilizer do much the same. Also, would the Monroe steering stabilizer work if I go with steer safe?
1 REPLY 1

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Safe-T-Plus replaces both the OEM Damper and its brackets. You'd need the "140" model S-T-P and the right bracket kit as shown on their lookup page. It seems a little better than Roadmaster's Reflex stabilizer. SteerSafe should be used in connection with a Damper like OEM, Monroe, Bilstein since it has centering but no internal damper. I give extra credit to the products Henderson's Line Up suggests and they use S-T-P.
I replaced our OEM with Monroe awhile ago and I think tracking is a little better but not night and day. Get a boot for any damper with an exposed piston rod to keep stone chips off of it.
There are good on-line deals on these parts, and some of the truck service shops can get them for you for much less cost than RV sources.
EDIT: This is just my take on terminology but I call the OEM part a Damper because it has no centering built in. So OEM, Monroe, Bilstein are in my vocabulary, Dampers. They may be called that but I don't. They're horizontally mounted shock absorbers.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB