cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steps

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
I just stopped for the nite and my steps wonโ€™t come out I checks the plug itโ€™s ok
I have a 2018 Fleetwood Bounder 36โ€
32 REPLIES 32

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
When you hear the click it is the internal relay inside the control box. Odds are the motor is stuck. Try banging on the motor with engine running and grounding and ungrounding the brown wire. Be OUT OF THE WAY of the steps when doing this. Doug

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok 1more bit of information the steps rite now are not totally closed there is just a little bit to go before they are totally closed.
How does it know when it is opened or closed??

I just tried it did not move but I could hear a clicking every time I touch the wire?:?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
sssooo wrote:
:SIf this works how do I get the steps back in?

If it works, you just release or hold the brown wire to ground. When it retracts, it will stay retracted. If not, Be under the area of the step but CLEAR of the steps. When it retracts, disconnect the 4 wire quick plug. That will keep them retracted until you get the switch or wire (brown) problem fixed. Doug

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
:SIf this works how do I get the steps back in?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, it is quite possible.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
I guess tomorrow is anther back ache !

So you are saying I have a bad ground

I have the magnet

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
sssooo wrote:
My mistake I do have power to the red and white wire I put a new clip on my test lite works better
Now my back hurts!

Thats good. Now, open and close the door. IF the amber light on the step does NOT go ON and OFF, your Magnetic door switch(Brown wire) is open and not connected. Sooooo, if so disconnect the brown wire about 6 inches from the 4 wire quick connect. Take a long wire(3 or 4 feet) connect to the wire going to that 4 wire quick connect. Stay away from the step assbly and take the raw end of the wire and touch and hold to a good chassis ground for a few seconds and then release. If the step operates, you have a problem with the magnetic switch in the door frame. Usually the magnet mounted on the screen door has fallen off. Some RV's do not use a Magnet but a pin switch in the door frame where the hinges are mounted.

Magnet switch https://www.amazon.com/Kwikee-369299-Magnetic-Switch-Step/dp/B01DK1EU38

Frame pin switch https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Kwikee/LC379407.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_m...

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
My mistake I do have power to the red and white wire I put a new clip on my test lite works better
Now my back hurts!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Here is a diagram for most Kwikee steps. They have over the years switched the magnetic switch from normally open to normally closed, wait was it normally closed to normally open.
Kwikee step diagram
Yes the switch does provide a ground to the controller but it is not a good ground for testing. If you had a multimeter it would be used to verify switch operation. If your test light has a continuity operation, it could be used for checking switch.
Best ground for testing would be one to frame. You could take the motor ground, large green wire, loose from the frame, clean the frame good, reattach and use it for testing and ground for motor.

That Green wire is NOT the motor ground. It is the Ground for the control box and yes, it does supply the ground thru the control box to the Motor when it reverses polarity to the motor. That Green wire if NOT connected to a good chassis ground would not allow the step to operate at all. usually, most steps the step frame IS grounded because the step frame is mounted to some part of the steel chassis frame. I think the OP is confused because the linked schematic states control module, but it is NOT the Step control module but the BCC control system modules. Last, to the OP, Have you verified that the Coach Battery disconnect is ON and you have 12 volt supply in the Coach section of your Motorhome? Some Oem's use the coach batteries as the Power for the Steps. NOT CORRECT to do so, but some do. But if OFF, your steps would be dead. Doug

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is a diagram for most Kwikee steps. They have over the years switched the magnetic switch from normally open to normally closed, wait was it normally closed to normally open.
Kwikee step diagram
Yes the switch does provide a ground to the controller but it is not a good ground for testing. If you had a multimeter it would be used to verify switch operation. If your test light has a continuity operation, it could be used for checking switch.
Best ground for testing would be one to frame. You could take the motor ground, large green wire, loose from the frame, clean the frame good, reattach and use it for testing and ground for motor.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
Doug you said the brown wire is ground tomorrow I will check that and use that for my ground
I am old and donโ€™t move like I used to it hurts to get up and down!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure of exact fuse numbers! I would go through all the fuses checking both sides.
The control fuse should be off the chassis battery and the motor power is off the house battery power.
Do you have the exact make and model number of the step?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
sssooo wrote:
Would that be f22 or f 13?

You are getting hung up on that linked Schematic. You stated you replaced the fuses. Did you LOOK and check if they were bad? There is a 12 to 14 gauge GREEN wire that GROUNDS the step to the chassis frame. Have you checked THAT for secure connection and ground. What I do and have ALWAYS done, is, I use a 12 volt test light and check EVERY fuse I can find for the chassis with the Key ON. You can do this in less than 10 minutes no matter what Brand or Model Motorhome. From your description I will bet you do NOT have the test light on a GOOD ground for the alligator clip when testing the Step 4 wire plug. Doug

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
Would that be f22 or f 13?