cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stick with truck camper or go for RV?

SUPERCHARGE
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. kinda new to all camping RV's, tt's and tc's. I need to ask the more experienced: are there 20-25 ft class A or C RV's which are a bit more off roadable? As in able to travel the beaches, muddy and rocky trails in a similar ability as a standard 4x4 pickup? Most seem way too low and have too much tail end after the er wheel. A few months ago, I got a truck camper at a steal of a price. It served me more than I could of imagined. After a few uses, I realized that i'll most likely start using a/my camper more than originally anticipated and could use the more advanced features an RV can offer over a TC

Here's my situation... i'm single, will be traveling long distances for my job, often off the road and during three seasons. will not be using campgrounds for long periods. Usually be in lesser public and more remote/rougher areas for short periods.

Here's what I like about my current setup: mileage is at about 17mpg and confident i could do better. With a tuned 5.3 liter engine, extended cab, have tons of power. High off the ground and driving is stable due to helper springs, easy to manล“uvre and semi-comfy on the highway. I can also park and sleep a night anywhere in park parkings/parking lots, cities without being bothered with this smaller setup.

What i'm not liking at all is the camper's stability in the bed. Despite being anchored tightly to the bed rails by four brackets, i find there is way too much movement and flex between the TC and bed when the road gets remotely rough. I could also use a bit more room. And i don't have the luxury of a proper shower, generator or extra battery (which kills the ability for Air conditioning or entertainment except the VERY rare times i'll be plugged in.) And an RV clearly seems like a comfier ride with it's larger more stable axles.

So i'd either like a larger TC that has more of the abilities of an RV and find a way of keeping it stable or find an RV that isn't afraid of getting rough like truck. Do these exist Or am I dreaming?
15 REPLIES 15

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I would stick with the T/C if your going to be using remote roads, sandy beaches and muddy, rocky trails. If you can afford to upgrade I would go that way, but still stay with a T/C and a 4x4 truck. JMHO