cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage bay lights don't go out

Johno97007
Explorer
Explorer
Huh! I happened to go to the storage bay on our street side kitchen slide and noticed that the bay light in the adjoining bay was also on. Opening the bay door and manually pushing the button did nothing for either light. I pulled the connectors from both lights to shut them off and am looking for help.

About the only thing that is different is that I rewired a counter light in the kitchen so that I could use a LED replacement bulb (the fixture ballast was bad). Religiously followed the provided instructions and had a back up set of eyes follow the process. The LED light works just fine. Short of pulling the fixture and rechecking everything, I'm out of ideas.

Logic tells me that the circuit breakers are o.k. or the lights wouldn't be getting power.

All the other bay (electric, water, and chassis electric) lights work fine.

This is on a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD w/38,000 miles.

Thanks for your help!
John & Sherryl
Retired and Loving it!
2004 Itasca Horizon 40 AD
Cummins 350
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (The Anchor)
8 REPLIES 8

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
OP- have you downloaded the electrical drawings from the website?

HERE it is
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
hooligan wrote:
The pin switches provide a ground connection for the compartment lights. Your new wiring may now provide that ground.

That was my exact thought.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
The pin switches provide a ground connection for the compartment lights. Your new wiring may now provide that ground.
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if it were me, I would go back to the light fixture you fixed and disconnect the wires and then recheck the bay light.

Johno97007
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the response!!! The idea of additional switches generated an epiphany about the “light” switches in the electric bay and the wet bay. So to test this out, I made sure the inside fixture was off, turned off the light switches in both the electric and the wet bay and put back in the bulb I had removed from the storage bay. The light came on when the bulb was seated and stayed on when I fully depressed the door switch. I then went to the electric bay and the wet bay and worked both of them, in turn, checking the storage bay light by depressing the bay door switch each time. The net result is that the electric bay switch and the wet bay switch control an outside light on the side of the coach only. They have no connection to the storage bay light.

By the way, each storage bay has it’s own switch and light fixture.

There are no switches inside the coach.

I’m fuddled.
John & Sherryl
Retired and Loving it!
2004 Itasca Horizon 40 AD
Cummins 350
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (The Anchor)

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
The OP has the same switch, but it's wired in series with the bay lights.

OP- if you are opening doors that open into the same bay, either switch will light the bay. I found several of mine were not going out as well and simply added a small rubber foot on the door where each push switch rests, and that solved the problem
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
In addition to the spring type switch in each bay, I have an interior manual light switch by the door of my coach and another manual cargo light switch in the wet basement compartment.
You might check to see if you have some additional cargo bay light switches that override the door activated light switches.

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
In addition to the spring type switch in each bay, I have an interior manual light switch by the door of my coach and another manual cargo light switch in the wet basement compartment.
You might check to see if you have some additional cargo bay light switches that override the door activated light switches.