Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STRANDED - no power to slide controls or jacks

dvleemin
Explorer
Explorer
All,
I'm 15 hours from home and I can't get my slides to open. While I was driving a couple of times the jack down light came on. We stopped and the jacks were up, but then when driving again it kept happening and the power to the control for both the jacks and the slides sometimes all lights would come on and other times there was no power to it at all. When we stopped for the night then, there is no power at all to the control panel and I can't get the slides to open.

I opened up the control panel and everything is connected. I can't find a fuse anywhere - not in the chassis fuse area or the house fuse area. I have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any ideas?

2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD

Darryl
11 REPLIES 11

MrWizard
just luv these hit & run threads
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious to know how this is/was resolved.
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe call a mobile RV mechanic.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
dvleemin,

Sorry to hear of your troubles and I think the above posters have given you some good info. I'm not familiar with your rig at all, so I can't add any technical advice. I would echo the need for a trusty digital multimeter and test light.

I am a bit puzzled though. You state that the jacks are "up" and the slides are "in" and that you're 15 hours from home. But in the subject for the thread you say "STRANDED". I could see being "stranded" if the slides were out and/or the jacks were down and you couldn't get them to come back in/retract. But if everything is in "travel mode", why can't you keep on truckin' home? It might not be convenient, but you should be able to get the rig home.

Maybe I'm missing something? ON EDIT: DOH...it just hit me that you're probably STILL on your trip and don't want to come home yet! Sorry, only had one cup of coffee today! LOL

Good Luck in trying to solve your problem.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
An amazing and worthwhile thing to do is to open your 12 volt panel. Take the cover off it so you can actually see the wires and the screw terminals to the wires, and most importantly the wires connected to the negative bus bar.

Use a good screwdriver to tighten all the screws. The ones to your problem will likely hold larger wires. If you can identify which wires might go to the slide out motors, remember you also need to identify which return wire comes back to the negative.

A great many problems come from loose wires, and your history with periodic problems often indicates an electrical loose connection. Try to identify the main feed wires from the converter. Tighten everything you can.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The best piece of advice you have been given is to go to winnebagoind.com, go to the resources tab and find the schematics for your rig. The electrical schematics are a little confusing at first but they give the general location of almost everything electrical.

After see your pictures and the fact that you keep asking for a ground wire location leads me to believe you are not very knowledgeable about wiring practices in motor vehicles.

So to start, do you have a meter or a 12vdc test light? If you do not, your going to need one or the other.

Trouble shooting a lack of power to a system usually starts at the beginning. Find the fuse and check to see if there is power to that point, if there is power on both sides of the fuse, the next point is determine if there is any pint at which the wire from the fuse goes to a junction point before you get to ON/OFF switch on the control panel. You will need each junction point until you get to the switch. If there is power to the panel and it goes through the ON/OFF switch, I think you are going to need a tech guy to help you.

Usually, there is no ground WIRE per say. Most devices use the chassis ground. Judging from the photos you provided, you could well have problems in your battery box. I think that there is a lot of possible damage to the system judging from the lack of maintenance on the HWH system. It needs cleaning.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dvleemin
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
on ours, the jacks down indicator light comes on with the jack fluid is low. It can be just a very little bit low and the lights will come on.

Ours as well - not the issue though as I have no power to the control panel in the motorhome.

dvleemin
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
control panel ? for the slides and jacks ?

or do you mean the house fuse panel inside ?

the house panel with the 120v breakers and internal DC fuses
will NOT have the heavy 50 to 100 amp fuse that powers the jacks and slides

that is in a different location, might be in a box in one of the storage bays
if that is the 'control panel' you are talking about
goto winniebagos website and download the electrical manual for your 2005 Itasca
you should have that anyway

No power to the control panel in the motorhome.

Checked the fuse panel outside (in the compartment to the right of the drivers seat) and the compartment under the bed.

I found the HWH pump and wiring by the front step but now not sure what to do. I figure this might be a ground issue, but can't seem to find the ground wire. ANy ideas?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=250958&d=1561381815

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=250959&d=1561381815

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=250960&d=1561381815

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
on ours, the jacks down indicator light comes on with the jack fluid is low. It can be just a very little bit low and the lights will come on.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Timothy2001
Explorer
Explorer
On my Itasca there is a fuse and breaker panel in the front drivers side outside compartment. Fuses are inside a removable cover, breakers are right where you can see them. Good luck I hope it’s something simple.
2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

MrWizard
control panel ? for the slides and jacks ?

or do you mean the house fuse panel inside ?

the house panel with the 120v breakers and internal DC fuses
will NOT have the heavy 50 to 100 amp fuse that powers the jacks and slides

that is in a different location, might be in a box in one of the storage bays
if that is the 'control panel' you are talking about
goto winniebagos website and download the electrical manual for your 2005 Itasca
you should have that anyway
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s