cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Hard Pulling to the Right

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my 2004 PW Excel since last September. Drove from Florida to Virginia with no problem, and around Virginia since then. This past Sunday I was out driving, hit a few bumps but nothing serious. Suddenly,I felt this strong pull to the right and when I braked, the wheels pulled to the left. Checked the tires and nothing visible. I continued on for a few miles and then when I turned onto the road to my house, it stopped. Just as suddenly as it started.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm taking it in to be checked, but a couple of people suggested that it sounded like a stuck brake pad.
I noticed a brief smell of wires burning, but then it stopped. Getting ready for a Mexico trip in a couple of months. I want to have this resolved before heading out.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

jbnewfreedom
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Sounds like the right brake stuck on, thereby pulling you to the right. After a while of being on, the pad heated up and lost it's effectiveness. Then you pressed the brake and because the right one was overheated already, it didn't work, but the left one did and pulled you to the left.

The smell is actually overheated brake pads and not wires. Often you can tell which wheel is acting up by just feeling the wheel hub or the wheel itself, but having a laser thermometer and pointing the beam at the various parts will really tell you when things get hot.

I had this happen on my last trip and ended up having one caliper changed out at a mechanical shop. If you have a brake job done already, be sure to keep the papers in your vehicle as you may be covered by warranty.

The big guys won't change out one caliper, under their rules you have to have the entire job done. It might be time for yours, but it sure wasn't for mine.

Thanks Mike, this sounds exactly like what happened. Will get it checked out. I don't have the best records, because I bought from a dealer, but the van is in great shape with only 32,000 miles, so hopefully this will be a minor fix (right, there's no such thing as a minor fix (cheap that is).

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the right brake stuck on, thereby pulling you to the right. After a while of being on, the pad heated up and lost it's effectiveness. Then you pressed the brake and because the right one was overheated already, it didn't work, but the left one did and pulled you to the left.

The smell is actually overheated brake pads and not wires. Often you can tell which wheel is acting up by just feeling the wheel hub or the wheel itself, but having a laser thermometer and pointing the beam at the various parts will really tell you when things get hot.

I had this happen on my last trip and ended up having one caliper changed out at a mechanical shop. If you have a brake job done already, be sure to keep the papers in your vehicle as you may be covered by warranty.

The big guys won't change out one caliper, under their rules you have to have the entire job done. It might be time for yours, but it sure wasn't for mine.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel