cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protectors

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
First, I've searched and all I could find were arguments. Second, I know I want one, but am not sure as to which style...portable or wired-in. After a couple of low voltage campsite pedestals, I figure I need SOMETHING to keep me from ruining my electronics on-board.

So....who has what advice? And yes, I will GLADLY accept links to good ones. For the record, I am leaning towards a permanently wired in EMS, but what are the pros and cons and what are good ones and bad ones?

Thanks in advance!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
45 REPLIES 45

87bob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all the posters on this thread in a few short minutes I've learned enough to help me make a decision as to why, and what I need. Now all I have to do is to check out how my pig tail is set up to decide if I go with a perm or temp unit. For those interested here is a web site with a side by side comparison of features. I found it to be very informative.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/rv-surge-protection-comparison-guide-a/279.htm

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I just found out Hughes has added some new features to their (lovely) autoformers. They now check polarity, and have at least some surge protection. I don't have all the details.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Well, as expected, the PI unit performed well during our week stay in a State Park. There were some storms that passed through one night and the power shut down. The error code showed high voltage. After about 15 minutes, everything came back on and all was well. No more problems. So, I would say it did its job and protected my investment. Very happy with the unit so far!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Cdaddy wrote:
I have a 30 amp trailer so I plug my 50 to 30 adapter into the power post it's a 50 amp site next week. then the surge protector into the other end correct?

That will work fine.

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30 amp trailer so I plug my 50 to 30 adapter into the power post it's a 50 amp site next week. then the surge protector into the other end correct?

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Has my PI unit save me? During one winter when we stayed at home one night. A branch fell from a tree, onto our overhead service breaking the neutral wire. Result, was over 10G electrical damage in the house. The MH was fine when we checked it. PI unit disconnected, when I started the generator up it show shut-down was due to open neutral.
Last winter, after arriving at our winter RV park in late September. Plugged in everything was fine. Power was fine than one night in January, the PI unit was cycling the power off and on. I got up and check the PI monitor it was showing 87 volt with a low voltage code. I shut off the park power and went on batteries, in the morning I got a hold of the park maintenance worker to check out the system. Found a bad branch panel circuit breaker.
You will never know when there will be a problem and you will not always be there to turn off power before something happens, The PI unit is on duty all the time. Did my PI save me? So far, I have not had any damage due to faulty shore power electrical problems. I believe in the PI Units. Gary

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My Progressive EMS has turned off or kept power off plenty of times where I would have never known unless it was there.

For example when voltage rises to 140 at 9pm during a movie who would know?
Probably no damage would be experienced so I will not claim it saved me but still how many times before there is an issue...

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree miles has nothing to do with campground plug ins. Several people just jack up there motor home and let it run to add miles. I have been from Key West to Fairbanks from California to Nova Scotia. I cant' begin to tell how many electric connection I have made many hundred I am sure. I have had never once had any indication of any electrical problems! Now I hope I just didn't jinx myself.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:

The only problems I have seen posted have been from those who purchased low end surge protectors expecting high end EMS results. I can't recall seeing reliability problems reported concerning the Progressive Industries units.

Ah Ha, I think you are right. which is why I always say, not the $90 special, spend $250 and up.
bumpy

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
big jim 2 wrote:
My experience has been the same as BUTCHIPHI approx. 150,000 miles over 14 years with no problems ever. Also I wonder if my insurance wouldn't cover any losses less deductible? I considered one a couple of years ago but the reviews on them made me decide decide not to go there. It seems almost everybody had problems with reliability.

The only problems I have seen posted have been from those who purchased low end surge protectors expecting high end EMS results. I can't recall seeing reliability problems reported concerning the Progressive Industries units.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
big jim 2 wrote:
My experience has been the same as BUTCHIPHI approx. 150,000 miles over 14 years with no problems ever. Also I wonder if my insurance wouldn't cover any losses less deductible? I considered one a couple of years ago but the reviews on them made me decide decide not to go there. It seems almost everybody had problems with reliability.

please link to all of these "problems" with reliability. I don't remember many/any of them.
incidently miles driven has no relevance here, it is number of nights at campgrounds with questionable electrical service, etc.
bumpy

big_jim_2
Explorer II
Explorer II

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Billinwoodland wrote:
I must admit I hate plugging my portable into the outlet box at campsites, for fear that I will either forget it or it will walk away. So what I do is plug an extension into the outlet, then keep the progressive unit in my locked compartment and run the extension to the portable unit. Works for me.

that is exactly what I did with mine.
bumpy

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
I use progressive industries portable.

I went with the same system. I must admit I hate plugging my portable into the outlet box at campsites, for fear that I will either forget it or it will walk away. So what I do is plug an extension into the outlet, then keep the progressive unit in my locked compartment and run the extension to the portable unit. Works for me.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd