cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping Dash Board & Door Panels, Older To Newer E350/E450

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was wondering if the 2007 E350 cab interior (dashboard & door panels) is interchangeable with the newer dash board of 2009-2014? If I find a clean donor of the right interior color, it would make for a fun project as long as the parts are interchangeable, electrical and all.

I have done a lot of interior work over the years with interior removals and installations so I am not gun shy to do it as long as there are no serious glitches.

Has anyone here tried such a project?
7 REPLIES 7

NHwanderlust
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, you have entirely to much time on your hands! That or your just dreaming while your rig is in your garage waiting for summer to come.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was talking about replacing the entire dash board, steering wheel and all. Not picking and choosing parts to stay and parts to swap. I may even need to swap the a/c & heater core box and other things mounted to the fire wall, but I hope it doesn't get that complicated.

I assume an E150 donor interior is interchangeable with an E350 cut-away interior. I can't imagine there being any differences except maybe a rear heater control and other related things that a cut-away won't have.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Owning one of each, I can tell you the difference is not just panels, as the structure was changed to relocate the passenger side airbags and create a locking glove compartment. But a swap of the whole dash structure might be feasible, I see no obvious differences in the windshield frame or firewall.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our older dash design shown here looks very nice with a nice flow to it which is why I fear my wife will object to the conversion. But it is quite deficient in functionality. I don't think my wife has much to worry about as I lack time to do it as long as I am still a working man. But if I find that perfect donor, I might make time.

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Even though I own a later 2010 chassis-2011 titled unit with the newer dash, I like the older design better, and I think it looks higher quality. The recent generation is very hard plasticy looking.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the only glitch is reprogramming a new instrument cluster, (expected & reasonable) that is a green light for me.

I'll give it some thought while keeping an eye open for a good donor. But first to get wife's approval. She might not like the newer design as it does have a more industrial style to it. I am going for the practical improvements.

Thanks carringb!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I believe its doable. I've seen pics of it done once.

Both years use CAN-BUS networks, so the wiring should be the same. You will have to have the new instrument cluster programmed to work with your PCM, as they go through a VIN check at startup. That step will require a shop with a Ford IDS terminal. Or, if you buy a new cluster of from a certified rebuilder, they can preprogram the VIN (and mileage).
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST