cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Neat Things to See from St George, UT to Branson, MO

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a family reunion in Branson, MO next summer and it is a long drive from us - 1433 miles. We probably will go I-15 to I-70 and then I-70 through Grand Junction, Denver and Kansas City. At Kansas City we go south to Branson. Our other choice is to head to Albuquerque to I-40 east to Oklahoma City to I-44 to Springfield, MO.

I do not want to make this a marathon drive. I would like to stop along the way if there are interesting things to see.

Are there any recommendations of things to see along the way? I lived in Albuquerque so I know all the sights there.

Thanks.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star
7 REPLIES 7

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Lamberts restaurant. We had a blast there and the food is great and well priced. While in the Kansas City area there is a Harley Davidson plant that has tours. Very interesting even if you are not in to Harleys. On the east side of KC is a Bass Pro shop that is in one of the prettiest areas you'll find- have lunch on the patio overlooking a lake and waterfall.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the inputs so far. I am keeping a log of all of them for the trip.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
In your dining selection, You must stop at Lamberts Restaurant, located just south of Springfield about 10 miles on your way to Branson.You will see it advertised as the "HOME OF THE THROWED ROLLS" and they literally throw the huge dinner rolls across the dining area. It is well worth the stop and the food is great. We usually have enough for another meal to take home. Hope this may help, happy trails Bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
US Highway 65 into Branson is an Interstate Class Highway from Springfield south to the MO/AR state line. Once you are in Branson - all east/west roads are at a standstill during the Summer months.

From Kansas City I would take US71/I-49 south to Harrisonville. Take MO7 south to Clinton. Take MO13 south to Springfield. Take I-44 east to US65 south.

I can drive that route in my sleep. My FnL lived north of KC when I lived in eastern Arkansas.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `_______ tourism' and put the city, state or area in the blank and read what the experts suggest.
I don't know how to avoid Hwy 65 into Branson but it is a tough drive; up and down and around.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Nancy, if you like Presidential Museums, The Eisenhower Presidential Library, Museum and Boyhood Home are in Abilene, KS, just off the I-70.

200 Southeast Fourth Street, P.O. Box 339 | Abilene, KS 67410

The Library is actually adjacent to S. Buckeye St. which is the main street through the city.

There is an RV park just past the Library going south on Buckeye St. on the right (Library is on the left going south. There is also a mansion to see before the Library which is also on the left side going south on S. Buckeye called the Seelye Mansion. The current owner bought it from the two spinster sisters and has renovated it to keep the house original. Very interesting to see. Their father was a chemist and has many patents.

Have fun on your trip!

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
The CO National Monument in Grand Junction is worth taking a look at.
Here is part of a blurb from the web site.
"Colorado National Monument preserves one of the grand landscapes of the American West. But this treasure is much more than a monument. ...."

The Dinosaur Museum in Fruita (a few miles from Grand Junction) is neat also.

If you have time for a detour south of Grand Junction a little, there are a number of great national parks like Arches that are well worth seeing.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad