cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Switching to 4-flat towing

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2017 Chev Colorado and think I'll tow it 4flat rather than on a dolly. Looking at a BlueOx system. Would like input as to if BLue Ox is a good system. Google reviews seem to show that they are. Also looking for a good, easy to use braking system. BlueOx offers a system called Patriot... Also, DW question....when towing 4 flat with the 4wheel in neutral, does the odometer on towed vehicle register miles? I just want an easy to use system without having to do alot like pull fuses, etc.....

THANKS
27 REPLIES 27

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I used a blue ox tow bar, aventa II with a brake buddy braking system for years without problems
bumpy

X2 - 4 years zero issues

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I have the SMI system on my Nissan XTerra 4 X 4. have towed it now 50,000 miles ++ not a problem. Very efficient system. Great comapny.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
kemer wrote:
Just bought a 2017 Chev Colorado and think I'll tow it 4flat rather than on a dolly. Looking at a BlueOx system. Would like input as to if BLue Ox is a good system. Google reviews seem to show that they are. Also looking for a good, easy to use braking system. BlueOx offers a system called Patriot... Also, DW question....when towing 4 flat with the 4wheel in neutral, does the odometer on towed vehicle register miles? I just want an easy to use system without having to do alot like pull fuses, etc.....

THANKS

BlueOx is an old and established company that has many followers like Michelin and other brands of consumer goods. I'm not one of these disciples and I don't necessarily limit myself to buying Bayer aspirin for saving me a heart attack, either.
Having said all that, we've been using an NSA READYBRUTE/ELITE. Alum. bars and rated at 8K lbs. also comes with the simplest toad braking setup possible. We coupled this to a DEMCO baseplate and haven't touched any of it, since I personally installed it, some time and mucho miles ago. IMO, it's the best bang for the buck as well, but to each his own, as they say and you don't always get what you pay for. I just don't feel that more expensive and complicated, always makes it better.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

aboeck3
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Blue Ox on Ford Focus and Honda CR-V. Haven't had any problems. Neither had to be "backed up" to install base plate. Base plate was baerably noticeable when installed.
Al & Jane - RETIRED
(Nico, Smudge & Boo - Cocker Spaniels)
2017 Winnebago Journey 42E with 2013 Honda CR-V toad & 2 bicycles (just in case)
Dreams Do Come True

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Certainly lots of opinions here. So go with what makes sense to you, financially and functionality. I've used Blue Ox tow bars and base plates on 3 different vehicles. No issues at all. For supplemental braking I've used Ready Brake, Blue Ox "box", and I'm now using Air Force 1, which is by far the best for my application and desires. Enjoy the hunt.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not towing my 2016 Colorado yet, but one reason I bought it is that it can be towed 4 down.
I have the Ready Brute tow bar and the Patriot brake system. I like the patriot system as it easy to move between vehicles.

Works fine for my 2013 Edge.

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blue Ox and SMI stay and play, here with no problems. Easy hook up. Blue Ox will also recondition tow bars at rallies have mine done ever 2 years.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Ox is great equipment, but there are several brand names that will do just as well at much cheaper prices.
Watch E-Bay for what you need.
For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roadmaster-Falcon-6-000-Lb-All-Terrain-RV-Tow-Bar-W-Accessories-/322551664440?epid=1939724576&hash=item4b1993cf38:g:lLQAAOSw3YJZPiUI&vxp=mtr

I run one of these as a brake system. really easy to plumb and use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brakemaster-for-coaches-with-air-brakes/222556241665?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Dc4bd5556e172498da12ce68387021268%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D322551664440
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
. deleted

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned in original post, my Colorado CAN BE towed either 4 flat or on a dolly...I just need to put the electronic tansfer case into neutral....Just went 1400 miles towing it on a dolly, but want to switch to 4 flat. From what I've read here, both BlueOx and RoadMaster seem to be the major players. Still need to do some research on a braking system.

THANKS

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
If it s 4x4, which you suggested, I am pretty sure it CANNOT be towed on a dolly.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a heavy Cadillac and use the SMI Plug & Play braking system with the Blue-Ox system. Love it, easy to hook up and works perfectly for us.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Snomas wrote:
My brother had. a blue ox break on the San Francisco bay bridge, not a good experience. .

exactly which blue ox broke on him? was it not rated for the weight being towed? my blue ox is rated for 10,000 lbs. what was his? was it properly maintained.
a little "factual information" would be helpful to see if your post has any merit.
bumpy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
When my Roadmaster fell apart during a tow I switched to Blue Ox about 15 years ago. I never have had any more issues but I did replace my Blue Ox after about 100,000 miles of towing. Blue Ox gave me a very good deal on a trade in.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?