cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taaadaaa! Took the plunge. Airbags on the Class A

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
So after much procrastination and diddling around....and being the cheapskate that I am, I ordered a set of airbags for my 95 Bounder 34j.

Just what Mr. Bounder needed! And, it really was not all that hard to install. New leaves were about $1500. This was about $500.

Then I saw it....rear sway bushings. GONE. Rotted, fallen off many miles back, laying on the side of the road like roadkill.....

MOOG supplied! HD blue sway bushings both on the frame and the sway end. Along with the airbags, I be pimping now like a big dog!

I bought Airlift 5000 model. Independent air connections. (Might put a compressor on this). Rear end raised about 4 inches at about 70lbs of pressure.

Road test! Along with getting yelled at by my oldest son for buying yet another car to add to my fleet,---Hey KID the deal was too good to pass up, a 2017 Fusion Hybrid for $8800. (I can tow the Fusion on all 4's). The C-Max is a great car but this was too good to pass up.

I was going down the highway with the cell phone in my ear and driving with 1 hand. Cops can't see me anyway. IF there were any.

No sway. Not being pushed by passing big rigs. In fact, the only complaints seem to be the dishes in the sink in the kitchen.

The Bounder felt like it was riding a bit more firm. I had the PSI set at 60. The 100g water tank was full and 3/4 tank of gas. Now with fresh tires, Bilstein shocks, new sway bushings both upfront and now rear, with airbags, this big boat handles pretty **** good for a 25-year-old coach.

The install was not exactly as planned. Yes, there were pre-drilled holes on the frame. But not exactly matching up. Once the top bracket was mounted, and we squeezed the airbag down onto the bottom bracket mounted on the axle housing, it was all straight forward, no pun intended....

I ran the air lines to the storage compartment---one on each side. But when I saw the condition of the rear sway bushings....

So, we are now ready, (we being me, two dogs and a mean old Siamese cat that thinks she is the queen of the Nile), are getting ready to make the trip from Cal to Kansas.

The cooling system rebuilt. New brakes. Tires. Shocks. Bags and bushings, the generator is now up and running, microwave replaced, the coffee maker is new, AC and heaters working, and a rear camera now installed at the license plate.....

Next stop....Pratt, Kansas. The farm manager can see me coming so they will run for the fields when they see this baby lumbering down the road heading their way. "EVERYONE RUN...California is here....bail, everyone make yourselves disappear, California has arrived....."

Now to have the shop build me tow clips for the front (nonplastic area) of either the C-Max or the Fusion.... aint retirement fun? And only one kid yells at me. No old lady to make life miserable. Just a mean cat, two Aussies who collect socks and shoes which they stash under the couch, a big motorhome...life is good. Gas is cheap. And if Covid visits, the kids have the passwords to the accounts. If you know what I mean.
48 REPLIES 48

MrWizard
I had a DP a Safari Sahara
Bought this Gasoline Bounder
And sold the DP
I can manage most maintainance and repairs on this one myself

On the DP the most i could do was oil and filter changes, or anything electrical

All the mechanical was too big too heavy and TOO Da#$ expensive in a shop
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Racklefratz
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
This has been a long time coming and i want to be sure to purchase the correct items

Easy solution: Diesel pusher. No need for aftermarket addons, correct items will already be in place, and the rest takes care of itself. Just sayin'
2012 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP (All Electric)

MrWizard
Rusty
Thanks for the pictures
I thought the air bags are usually put behind the axle
Anybody else got photos of their airbag install for the Ford F53 RV chassis ? Richard ?
Part numbers ?

This has been a long time coming and i want to be sure to purchase the correct items

It's been
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
RustyMacIntosh wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I had Sumo springs on one coach and went with air bags on another rig. The Sumo springs are not adjustable and actually just replace your original rubber bumper stops. With the air bags I can adjust for a nice ride or pump them up when the cross winds pick up to stabilize the ride on the highway. Since we traveled a lot in the Great Plains area, which is known for high winds, the air bags enabled us to stay on the road longer without fighting the cross winds. Mine had the on board compressor and dash control that allowed me to inflate or deflate my four corner air bags.

what compressor did you use? Are your bags independent of each other or did you hook the two bags into one line?

You can a order a complete set of air bags with compressor, controls and gauges, I have all the stuff with my air bags and can raise or lower the front and back separately.

๐Ÿ™‚

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I had Sumo springs on one coach and went with air bags on another rig. The Sumo springs are not adjustable and actually just replace your original rubber bumper stops. With the air bags I can adjust for a nice ride or pump them up when the cross winds pick up to stabilize the ride on the highway. Since we traveled a lot in the Great Plains area, which is known for high winds, the air bags enabled us to stay on the road longer without fighting the cross winds. Mine had the on board compressor and dash control that allowed me to inflate or deflate my four corner air bags.

what compressor did you use? Are your bags independent of each other or did you hook the two bags into one line?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
I have air bags on my 08 Bounder, I run 50 lbs in back and 20 lbs in front, you dont want to much presure in front or it will ride hard, I also have all new Koni shocks and new poly sway bar bushings and my ride is so much better than it was in stock condition..

I\ll let you know in a couple of weeks if the bags and bushings helped the sway, and ass drag.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have air bags on my 08 Bounder, I run 50 lbs in back and 20 lbs in front, you dont want to much presure in front or it will ride hard, I also have all new Koni shocks and new poly sway bar bushings and my ride is so much better than it was in stock condition..

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
TWZMYJP wrote:
What made you go with airbags over something like the Sumo springs? I'm debating between them and only have direct experience with air bags.

bought the bags off Ebay before learning about Sumosprings. If I had to do it over, I would look carefully at Sumo. Nothing wrong with the bags, the placement might be a bit more forward on the leaves than I thought (thinking directly over the axle) but nowhere to bolt it down.

Time will tell. These were Airlift 5000 models. Off Ebay for about $400ish cost me 4 hours of shop time to have it installed. AND they found the sway bar mounts all rotted. All things considering, the spring shop wanted $1250+ to add a leaf. They also would have found the sway bar rotted.

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
What made you go with airbags over something like the Sumo springs? I'm debating between them and only have direct experience with air bags.
'18 Jayco Alante 31R

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
The rear of my 95 32H Bounder rides really nice since the air bag install in 2010.
Have you scaled your 34j with 100 gallons of water on board? That 833 lbs will put you over weight.

Richard

I've got the Bounder on a Keto Diet. I am afraid to scale it. No doubt it is beyond overweight. I know by the way it sat without the bags I was heavy on the starboard side.

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
Don't yell at me, but you can see the sway bar bushings.....now they are brand spanking absolutely bloody NEW

https://postimg.cc/p9gx1Grf

https://postimg.cc/ygcBqm3w

AND my new Fusion Hybrid. No it is not a buy here pay here place, that is next door This lot is an investment of mine. They sell nothing but Hybrids and Plugins....

https://postimg.cc/JGP8W4t4

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
What kind of sicko am I for being dissapointed that there's no pics?

Nice work BTW.

I cannot figure out how to post pictures. I can do a link....

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The rear of my 95 32H Bounder rides really nice since the air bag install in 2010.
Have you scaled your 34j with 100 gallons of water on board? That 833 lbs will put you over weight.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, pictures would be nice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad